Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate my old ears ! Today i tried out a used Rivera

"Bonehead"...and it sounded great with me 2 feet in front of it, playing
    through a Charvel Pointy. Then i spotted a used Mesa that was the smaller head shape, like the 20 year old ones? Not sure of the model,
    but it sounded killer, like a mini Uberschall! So im thinking..."get rid of
    my Marshall DSL 2000 50 watt, and come home with this Boogie...
    Its got "the tone"...
    But then i get home, plug straight into my Marshall, tweak it a bit, and
    i love it even at bedroom levels! I guess the only way to do it ,would be
    to take my DSL to the GC and A/B them side by side to be sure?
    Anyway...im confused as to whether i want to add an ART MP-1
    Modded by Voodoo Amps, for $600 (add this to my Marshall) or just dump my Marshall, and move
    up? (or down?) LOL With the Rivera, or Mesa (stiletto?)
    What do you guys suggest? Seemed slightly to my old ears, that
    the Rivera was more "Brutal" and a focused tighter bottom end.
    Plus it had so many tweak knobs and push pull boosts, that i could
    keep myself busy for months! Or is the Mesa the way to go?
    Mesa was a Grand... Rivera for $1100 Both mint.
    Opinions? Are we ever truly happy with our tone? :-)

Find out what the 20 year old small Mesa head is!!!!!
    That is ABSOLUTELY the first thing you should do. You don't need new ears for that.

Comment

The front panel is real close to the new 550. but it does NOT have
      that logo in the center. Otherwise the smooth knobs,and layout is
      the same. But the head has that "Slant" panel to it, "old school".
      I better go back and check it out further! :-)) For under a grand
      its probably a steal?

Comment

Sounds like an F series, though they're not exactly brutal. Great clean though.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
          Sounds like an F series, though they're not exactly brutal. Great clean though.
          But if it's 20 years old, it's probably not an F. Maybe an old Mark of some sort. I say, if you like your Marshall, the Rivera will get you that sound and beyond, plus Fendery cleans.

Take your amp to the store and compare side by side. It's the only way to be sure. No foolin' old ears.
          Cheers!

Comment

^ What usrname said. Compare the amps side by side
            Remember, when I first tried a Rivera I was told I'd spend 2 months with it just getting to know it, how each knob affects the sound etc. ("focus" and "ninja boost", I've only seen that on Rivera's).
            I have a Rivera M100, happy as hell with it, but keep in mind that is one LOUD motha! If you get a Rivera, don't expect to be playing it at bedroom levels. That's the advice I can give you now.

Let your ears guide you and you'll be fine!
            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

The F series do have that old school look to him, I figured that is what the poster was referring to... the look not the actual age.

Comment

I have one of the Boneheads as well.... killer clean, to brutal.. but as stated above - it is LOUD, even at half power

Comment

Anyway...im confused as to whether i want to add an ART MP-1
                  Modded by Voodoo Amps, for $600 (add this to my Marshall) or just dump my Marshall, and move up? (or down?) LOL With the Rivera, or Mesa (stiletto?)

The MP-1 is manufactured by ADA, not ART (IE: although both did manufacture preamps they are two different companies). I'm not sure if you know this but if your ears are gravitating towards the Marshall'esq type of tones then I would recommend playing on a Rivera before you purchase it as they are generally based on the Fender topology, which sounds and feels very different than the Marshall topology (for what it's worth). The Stiletto leans more towards the Marshall topology so that may also be more up your alley than the Rivera but let your ears be the judge.

Good luck and I hope it helps
                  Trace

Comment

Follow up/// Its an F-100 that is only 4 months old, and is only $900
                    today! Super price? Or should i just relax, and keep checking out the
                    Rivera, and others? Has the 3 channel footswitch, manual everything
                    included for 8 bones! I just played it again, and its wonderful at nearly
                    everything. The guys said its about $1500.00 new, so at $900 out the
                    door should i run, not walk? Thanks for your input!

Comment

That's not a bad price, considering it's only four months old. But don't go by price, go by the tone. If you dig the tone of the F, like I do, and it has the options you're looking for, then it's a win/win situation.

I would try to get him down to $850, but I like to haggle.
                      Cheers!

Comment

Go by ears, not price.. Especially when the pricedifference isn't very big anyway. If you go for the cheaper one but you think the other one sounded better, you'll end up selling the cheaper one sooner or later anyway.
                        That's Guitarist 101 dude!

Comment

Thanks guys....your right, If you dont get the ultimate right away...
                          you end up with it after 8 other purchases! Thanks for your opinions.

Comment

And now im wondering how fantastic the Dual Rec, and Triple Rectifiers are, if i think the F-100 is so great? Do i need to spend $2100.00? :-) Ive never played through any others, besides this F=100, so maybe the tone gets 50% better on the upper end
                            Boogies?

Comment

Try before you buy, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X