Marshall 2x12 versus 4x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 2x12 versus 4x12

So I'm still looking at cabs for my SLO. I've found a 1936 2x12 with greenbacks and a 1960ax with greenbacks.

I'll be playing mostly in the home. What will I lose by going with the smaller cab?

A 412 spreads the sound out better. But I gig with a 212 and it's never been a problem. Bigger venues mic me anyway, so I just save a little back strain.

Comment

Go for the 1960a. Personally.. I use all 2 x 12 cabs but from what I have heard the SLO sounds the best through a 4 x 12

Comment

I'm with John.
        4-12" cabs have their own sound and really move air.
        Ain't nothin' like it.
        Strat God Music
        http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Very helpful in making my decision.

Comment

I bought a 1960AX for my SLO . I hated that cab/speakers ..... returned it . A 4x12 with vintage 30s sounds best to me .
            Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

4/12 will sound 100% better that 2/12. I do use 2/12 to gig with because I'm just too old to be lugging a big cab around.

joe...
              www.godwentpunk.com
              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by TheUntalentedOne View Post
                I bought a 1960AX for my SLO . I hated that cab/speakers ..... returned it . A 4x12 with vintage 30s sounds best to me .
                What didn't you like about it? Just curious. I'm running it through vintage 30s right now in a 2x12. People seem to think the SLO/greenbacks route is the way to go.

Comment

There seemed to be a harsh midrange that made it sound boxy . I drive the amp very hard with an attenuator , so maybe that is the reason .... more power tube in the sound . Everyone's ear is different though .

Mark
                  Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Thanks, appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X