Noob question about cab wattage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question about cab wattage

So I am finally able to afford a nice set of speakers to complete my rig (Triaxis-20/20) and I'm still undecided between getting a 2x12 or two 1x12's. Anyhow, my main problem is that I'm a bit confused as to how much wattage should the cab have (took me a while to understand the impedance bit... ).

For example, if I get two 200 watts 1x12's I can be certain that my poweramp (20 watts p/channel) won't damage them but will I be losing tone in any way? I haven't really seen that many 20 watt cabinets around. Any suggestions? THX

i don't think you'll loose tone. i use 200 watt speakers and i think i sound great!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

But what kind of output does your poweramp deliver?

Comment

i have used the same cabs/speakers with everything:

a 16 watt soldano astroverb head
        a 35 watt fender tremolux head
        a 50 watt marshall 2204
        an 85 watt boogie mark IV
        a 100 watt rivera m-100
        a 120 watt rivera s-120

all those amps sound killer using a pair of EVM12L 200 watt speakers!!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'd go the stereo route with 2 1X12s loaded with Celestion V30s. That way you get the full stereo effect from the power amp.

Comment

As long as the speakers you decide on are at least the max power of the amp your using you'll be fine. You wont lose tone with a higher wattage speaker set up than whats needed. You'll have more clean head room.
            Gil

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I'll get the two 1x12's and experiment a bit with different speakers since I'm not really sure as to what I want. I tried a cab loaded with the infamous V30's a couple of days ago and distorted sounds were way too bright for my tastes (cleans were awesome though). I like big fat dark sounds.

I'll let you guys know what I'll settle on.

Comment

Sounds like you're looking for a Mesa 1x12 3/4 open back with Black Shadows.

Comment

Working...
                X