Mesa Stiletto Deuce Series 1 w/Hollywood mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Stiletto Deuce Series 1 w/Hollywood mod

I just put my Stiletto through the paces tonight after a really long layoff. Holy crap does this amp sound good. I forgot how truly great it is.
    I decided to do a little a/b against my 1st year block letter 5150 head. My Mig 60 just sat and watched.

They both have about the same amount of gain. The Stiletto has an awesome clean channel and is way more versatile because of all of the channel modes.
    The 5150 rips bigtime and it has a grainy harsh high gain metal tone. Messing with the bass and the resonance can really get the cabinet thumping. Not the best amp for super fast palm muting. It doesn't react as fast as a Rectifier does.
    The Stiletto reminds me alot of a Mark III. It has the midrange of a JCM800 but with the gain structure of a Rectifier. What a refined amp. Its great for the lead guitar player. Petrucci tone all the way.
    Throw a DD6 in the loop and a Reissue TS-9 out in front and there are very little sonic barriers you can't break.
    For some of you guys trying to decide between a high gain Marshall and a Rectifier you need to check out the Stiletto Ace. It is supposed to be similar to my Stiletto Series 1 with the infamous Hollywood Modification. Mine was done by Dave Bunker who is the best in the country according to Mesa Boogie.
    My Stiletto is like having a Rectifier and a modded JCM800 all rolled into 1 chassis. Its also extremely cool looking.
    The only downside of the Stiletto is that the effects loop is not footswitchable. I wonder why Boogie didn't include that feature. I actually like having a switchable loop. It does have the solo feature and a very good loop.
    I would like to try it out live one day.

John, that sounds like an amp I could get into man!! I was leaning towards a re-issue Marshall 2203 and put a Boss MT-2 up front, but maybe I should test drive a Stilletto first Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
      John, that sounds like an amp I could get into man!! I was leaning towards a re-issue Marshall 2203 and put a Boss MT-2 up front, but maybe I should test drive a Stilletto first Jack.
      You should Jack. The other JCF'r that should try a Stiletto Ace or the new Series 2 Deuce and Trident is Twisteramps. All the things he describes he likes about his JSX and the VHT are attributes of a Stiletto. I especially like the Rectifier/Diode control for each channel and the built in Variac along with the ability to run either channel in 50w or 100w.

Comment

I've read it can be fairly bright. How does the brightness compare to some of the other amps you compared it to?

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
          I've read it can be fairly bright. How does the brightness compare to some of the other amps you compared it to?
          The Stiletto isn't bright. It has a ton of midrange though. Put it in the mix with a Rectifier and it fills in all the sonic gaps that are missing.
          I don't know if you ever tried a Mark IV but the Stiletto sounds like one. I also had a Mesa Mark III Purple Stripe and the Stiletto reminds me of it but with alot more versatility.
          Keep in mind kiddies that I am talking about a Hollywood Modded Series 1 Deuce. My Deuce sounds alot different than a stock Series 1.

Now to answer your question more directly.

My Deuce isn't as bright as a Soldano and it doesn't have the crazy high gain sizzle of a Powerball.
          It doesn't have the raw grainyness of a 5150.
          Its not as smooth as a Mark IV
          It reminds me a little of a Rectifier but with more mids and just a tad less high end sizzle.
          To my ears, it sounds like a Modded high gain JCM800 2203/4 and a Dual Rectifier Red channel all rolled into 1 amp.
          If you ever wanted an amp that easily cuts through any live mix... this is the amp. You need very little volume to be heard.

Comment

what cab were you using with the stilleto?
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              The Stiletto isn't bright. It has a ton of midrange though. Put it in the mix with a Rectifier and it fills in all the sonic gaps that are missing.
              I don't know if you ever tried a Mark IV but the Stiletto sounds like one. I also had a Mesa Mark III Purple Stripe and the Stiletto reminds me of it but with alot more versatility.
              Keep in mind kiddies that I am talking about a Hollywood Modded Series 1 Deuce. My Deuce sounds alot different than a stock Series 1.

Now to answer your question more directly.

My Deuce isn't as bright as a Soldano and it doesn't have the crazy high gain sizzle of a Powerball.
              It doesn't have the raw grainyness of a 5150.
              Its not as smooth as a Mark IV
              It reminds me a little of a Rectifier but with more mids and just a tad less high end sizzle.
              To my ears, it sounds like a Modded high gain JCM800 2203/4 and a Dual Rectifier Red channel all rolled into 1 amp.
              If you ever wanted an amp that easily cuts through any live mix... this is the amp. You need very little volume to be heard.

Thanks for the useful info. Do the series II stilettos come with the mod?

Comment

Curious John did you retire the Vetta?

Comment

Originally posted by quakana View Post
                  Curious John did you retire the Vetta?
                  No, the Vetta is my main amp. I use it in the recording studio, at band rehearsal in New Jersey (that is where it is now) and live.
                  I have several tube amps. I would be considered an "Amp Guy". Some guys have tons of guitars and a few amps. I have a few guitars and alot of amps.

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
                    Thanks for the useful info. Do the series II stilettos come with the mod?

From all that I read and heard... yes, they have the mod + better transformers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      what cab were you using with the stilleto?
                      Hey Tim. I have 4 main cabinets.

Randall 2 x 12 closed back slant cab with V30's
                      Randall 2 x 12 open back slant cab with 300w Altec Lansing Whiteframes
                      Marshall 1966a with 2 x 75w Celestions
                      Mesa 3/4 back with 1 x 90w Black Shadow

The Stiletto sounds the best through the Mesa cab and the Marshall cab.
                      I use the Randalls for my Vetta because I run it in stereo.
                      My Mig 60 also sounds fantastic through the Marshall cab.
                      The 5150 sounds the best through the Randall 2 x 12 closed back with the V30's. I also have a 4 x 12 5150 cab in the studio that I run my Vetta through for rehearsal. My 5150II head is just for back up and rarely ever gets fired up.

Comment

Working...
                      X