JSX Head vs COMBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX Head vs COMBO

From what I see, it looks like the combo unit actually has a couple more options over the head version (ie: reverb and 60/120 switch). The combo's go for about $200 over the head version (on ebay) which I think is fair. WIth the combo, I could take my existing speakers and put them if this cab if I don't like these stock ones. My question is this:

What advantage is it to go with the JSX head over the combo? Right now I lug my TSL100 and Marshall 1936 (2/12) cab to my practices/shows.

I have a Boogie Mark III combo which I'm thinking of selling/trading in place the JSX combo.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

The combo doesn't look as cool as the head!

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
      From what I see, it looks like the combo unit actually has a couple more options over the head version (ie: reverb and 60/120 switch). The combo's go for about $200 over the head version (on ebay) which I think is fair. WIth the combo, I could take my existing speakers and put them if this cab if I don't like these stock ones. My question is this:

What advantage is it to go with the JSX head over the combo? Right now I lug my TSL100 and Marshall 1936 (2/12) cab to my practices/shows.

I have a Boogie Mark III combo which I'm thinking of selling/trading in place the JSX combo.

joe...
      The speakers in the combo are matched to the head. Nothing wrong with a combo. Upgrading maybe alittle more then just replacing a head on a stack but I feel you should get the correct cabnet to go with the correct head anyway.
      If the combo offers reverb then I see more value in the combo if you use reverb. I miss owning a amp with built in reverb. It makes life alot better for me. I would own the combo allday. I owned combos all my life.
      For stage use the combo will be fine. Mic'd it's as good any stack. The only benefit of owning a stack is the larger then life sound. You can't recreate that from a combo. Combo's lack just the last bit in depth. You save alot of money going combo. Also this depends if you need all that.I purchased a combo over a stack thinking I would never again rest it on a stage. My buddies come over from time to time to jam and my combo cuts threw allday. After playing the same amp in a stck form, I did notice the last word in depth my combo was missing. Do I need it??? Not really, do I want it??? I think so.

Best advise is to play them both and see what makes more sense for you.

Dan

Comment

1. A head and 212 cab weigh less individually than a combo
        2. I'd rather have my reverb in my multieffects which is in the switchable effects loop, as opposed to an internal reverb. I can go dry with one button by taking the loop out of the signal path.
        3. It's easier to change tubes on a head than a combo. You're upside down or having to remove the chassis with a combo.
        4. The tubes are seated better in a head, where gravity is your friend and not your enemy. Maybe this doesn't really matter but it seems to make more sense.
        5. The head does indeed look better than the combo, and if you decide to go halfstack or fullstack, it looks better yet.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lugging a 2x12 tube combo around is hard work. The one I sold a long time ago was close to 100lbs. I much prefer the 2x12 cab and a head so I can move it easier. Plus then I can easier set it on top of a 4x12 when I need - err - want to

Comment

I've played the combo and the head. I actually liked the combo better. I didn't play either for that long though.

Comment

Well, if it's anything like the 5150, I'd get the head alone. I have played 5150 combos and find them to sound (to my ears) very dead and midrangy... The 4x12s have a more pleasing tone I think. More depth, punch and sound more live.

Plus, as mentioned, a combo is HEAVY...
              Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 01-22-2007, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I know my Boogie is one heavy mother and it's only a 1/12. While lugging around a heavy combo might help to get me back into shape, it's probally not the best thing. The built in Reverb and 60/120 option is nice option but not a deal breaker.

My GC only has a combo for me to test. I never had a chance to get it completely dialed in on the strat I was using so it sounded very boxey to me. The guy before me was using a LP and it sounded great then so I know it was the guitar that didn't make it sound good.

I guess I need to set my sights on the head version again.

thanks!

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

I would rethink that. I think that every person that ever owned a Mark III and sold or traded it has regretted it bigtime. Me included. What an idiot I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                    Well, if it's anything like the 5150, I'd get the head alone. I have played 5150 combos and find them to sound (to my ears) very dead and midrangy... The 4x12s have a more pleasing tone I think. More depth, punch and sound more live.

Plus, as mentioned, a combo is HEAVY...
                    I really liked the 2 5150 combo's that I owned. I though they sounded great although nothing beats a traditional head and cab. 5150's LOVE 4 x 12 cabs. My 5150 combos both shared 1 MAJOR problem though.
                    WEIGHT!!!
                    Jeez, thats the heaviest combo on the planet. I actually didn't look forward to gigs because I knew I would have to lug that monster combo around.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post

I would rethink that. I think that every person that ever owned a Mark III and sold or traded it has regretted it bigtime. Me included. What an idiot I am.

I don't regret selling off my Mk III - always pissed me off - was too hard to try to dial in three useable tones. Three channel amp my ass! My studio .22+ smoked it imho.

Pete

Comment

Mesa..yeah, the shared eq. even with a switchable parametric and a clean channel..unless you have a outboard eq to re-EQ a preset.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                          I don't regret selling off my Mk III - always pissed me off - was too hard to try to dial in three useable tones. Three channel amp my ass! My studio .22+ smoked it imho.

Pete
                          It wasn't too hard.. it was impossible. It certainly wasn't a true or even useable 3 channel amp. I did think it smoked the Studio .22's that I owned. I found the Studio .22 lacking any type of bottom end although the general tone was outstanding. It also recorded extremely well.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            It wasn't too hard.. it was impossible. It certainly wasn't a true or even useable 3 channel amp. I did think it smoked the Studio .22's that I owned. I found the Studio .22 lacking any type of bottom end although the general tone was outstanding. It also recorded extremely well.

Through a good cabinet and with the EQ set properly (low bass on the amp controls, built in Graphic eq cranked on the low end) the Studio.22 had plenty of bass for me through an external cab. I hate combos, always end up plugging them into sealed cabs. Besides, isn't deep bass what a bass player is for?

Comment

I too have had a hard time to dial in my boogie. Yes it's a 3 channel but you can only use 1 at a time effectively. I ended up only using the clean channel and used the gain/boost from the gt-6. I think I have only about 10 hours on this thing and I bought it in 1989. It's still in brand new condition.

Last night I was playing around with it and got completly fustrated again with it so I don't think I'll loose any sleep getting rid of it. I have a friend that works at GC so I need to find out what price he can give me on a JSX head otherwise I'll get one from Ebay.

I do have a question regarding the JSX. I see alot of the heads on ebay and most all say, "Got the amp and now I'm selling...Still in mint shape...paid over $k". These sell for about $600-$800 all the time on ebay. Why is it that people are selling these things so quickly after getting them, there seems to be a trend.

joe...
                              Last edited by GodWentPUNK; 01-24-2007, 10:18 AM.
                              www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Working...
                              X