correct cable's to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct cable's to use

I have always just plugged my guitar directly into the amp. I am waiting for my new pedal to arrive. I decided to try DigiTech Bad Monkey out. See if it will do what I want without paying alot for a Ibanez Tube Screamer on my Classic 50 Peavey. Anyways, I have always used a Livewire Premium cable. Now I need a second one for after the pedal and they dont make that cable anymore. I only need about 4 or 5 feet. Any suggestions would be helpful. I just dont want to pay $$$ for a monster cable if something cheaper will do.

One other question. Should I put this pedal in the effects loop? I dont think so but thought I would ask. And if so, what type of cables do I use in a effects loop?

Thanks for any input. Take it easy.

Your guess is right. Do not plug pedals into the effects loop. The Effects loop's are for low level signals like rack effects. Pedals are designed to go through the instrument in jack. There's a myrid of cables out there. Your Live Wires are good. DiMarzio and Conquest makes some good ones as well.

For effects cables, speaker or patch unshielded, are fine to use (non-instrument cable).
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Overdrive and distortion pedals should be used in front of the amp and not the effects loop. And use guitar cables or small patch cables for any effects (whether they're used in a loop or not).
      Speaker cables are different than guitar cables and are only to be used between an amp and speaker cabinet.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've had very good luck with the Planet Waves cables. They're a little on the expensive side but well worth it.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
          For effects cables, speaker or patch unshielded, are fine to use (non-instrument cable).
          You're kidding right?

Umm... Shielded guitar cablesneed to be used there...

PLanet waves are good for the dough. Mounted to a pedal board? I'd make up some George L's myself. SUPER quiet. Not much better till you go to Monster Sp1000's... And those are not worth what they cost at all... Unless you have to manage the noise from some horrid high gain situation. Then, well, they may be haha...

Comment

Whirlwind cables. They where the first higher end cables designed for better cleaner tone.
            You can put pedals into an effects loop. It's what it's designed for. You don't want your delay and chorus infront of your drive channel. You want it after the preamp and before the amp VIA the effects loop.
            High quality cables are just as Important as a good pair of speakers , high quality pickups etc. Weakest link theory applies always.

Dan

Comment

I use George L's for everything after the first input in front of the amp and also in the effects loop. I know some here don't like George L's, but I've been using them for probably 8 years now and they've always worked great and sounded great. Not very expensive either.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                You're kidding right?

Umm... Shielded guitar cablesneed to be used there...
                I dunno, I've been using speaker cables with no problems ever since effects loops started showing up in amplifiers. I thought I read years ago, (maybe Guitar Player mag) that shielded instrument cables are not to be used in effects loops? Oh well, speaker cables have worked fine for me. I need to do a little research. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                  You can put pedals into an effects loop. It's what it's designed for. You don't want your delay and chorus infront of your drive channel. You want it after the preamp and before the amp VIA the effects loop.
                  Well, a lot of loops are line level and not instrument level. If you put a pedal, which is instrument level, into a line level loop, it will be a little distorted and not sound all that great. It seems quite a lot of loops are made for line level effects for rack processors and not floor pedals. Experiment and adjust accordingly.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you're using speaker cables in the fx loop, STOP. You're adding noise that shouldn't be there. If Guitar Player magazine said to not use shielded instrument cables in fx loops then that was a typo or misinformation of mythical proportions.

Pete

Comment

I use Mogami cables and George L's patch cables with Neutric plugs. I get them at www.Lavacable.com. They sound way better than Monster cable at about half the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        If you're using speaker cables in the fx loop, STOP. You're adding noise that shouldn't be there. If Guitar Player magazine said to not use shielded instrument cables in fx loops then that was a typo or misinformation of mythical proportions.

Pete
                        agreed.

Comment

dimarzio cables are a good reasoable cost alternative that sound good

Comment

For the cost you can't beat LiveWires. For speaker cables I use Monster.

Comment

Freaking Monster.. nice cables.. bullshit price. Only buy the clearanced or deep discount on those. You pay for their lawyers legal fees to try to get exclusive ownership and use of the name 'monster'.
                              I've had decent luck with Planet wave and Live Wires. I used to use Whirlwind ages ago...they seemed to last longer and were more reliable, but still.. a cable is a cable.. use it, abuse it.. it'll crap out unless its the really high end stuff.
                              Last edited by charvelguy; 01-24-2007, 01:55 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                              X