VHT gig review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT gig review

So, got a 50/CL with all the trimmings (EQ and reverb) and tried it out at the gig saturday. I usually use a JSX, but had a VHT long ago and sold it - one showed up on ebay with all options and a footswitch so I jumped on it.

First things first - the VHT handled my GT8 perfectly. The loop on the 50/CL is damn near perfect - you can either use it parallel or series (I went series) and line or pedal level (I went pedal). Also has a return level control too. Took me about 30 seconds to set it where I could bypass all fx on the GT8 and turn the loop off and on (via footswitch) and it sounded 95% the same. Yeah, there was a slight difference, but nothing bothersome for me. Could even just be the different sound of the fx loop circuitry being added, but it was fine either way.

Had compliments on my tone from several people who had seen me play with the JSX and bandmates... they said it sounded more agressive than the JSX and I had a lot more clarity on my high gain tones.

One thing that is good/bad about the VHT is that clarity... you can hear at full tilt whether or not you're hammering, picking or picking each note hard, and if you slop a note it shows it. the JSX is a lot more forgiving - and easier to play. I wasn't playing the VHT as loud as I would the JSX, since the tone just projects really well.

Am I going to get rid of the JSX? Not sure. It's a terrific amp, but I like the way the VHT keeps me on my toes, and I do like the tones better. The JSX has an extra channel, and rocks! But it has a more (for want of a better term) generic tone, and the VHT is just a 'go for the throat' sound. After I set up the amp and hit the first chord at stage volume, a couple of guitar players came running up wondering what the amp was.

I pretty much echo this. The 50CL is really clear and transparent. Singing at the same time, but you can always hear the guitar and the wood.

Once in a while I swap green vs red channel for solo work, but this is what I do most often:
    - setup red for solo, no boost for warmer feel, with the boost for regular solo
    - green for rythm work, with the boost. No boost gets you a nice crunch, often useful for dirty chord work. No boost and volume rolled down - pretty usable clean. Not Fender clean by any means, but usable and pleasant clean nevertheless.

Sometimes I"m using the Maxon OD820 with it, for just to get a little bit of hair when I think it sounds 'too clean'. But 90% it is just a cord and a guitar. BTW, for me it seems to take passive pickups the best, tonezone or alike. Something that gives a bit of woody sound with some vocal quiality to it, it complements the 50CLs natural voice.

Oh, btw, I'm playing metal...

Comment

Glad you liked it Pete and it worked out for ou in a real world application. The clarity thing to be is a positive, I like it.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn - do you ever have yours up loud enough to notice a difference in sag with the tube vs solid state rectifier? I noticed I can set it to where one channel uses SS and the other uses tube... but couldn't get the amp loud enough to tell a real difference at a gig. Also, some guys on the vht message board claim that the amp sounds better with the master cranked and the channel volumes set low - which doesn't make much sense to me. Do you notice a difference?

Pete

Comment

Pete my B-52 At-100 is like that , I crank the Master and control volume from the channel. it makes the amp sound much more open and smoother (I don't really know why unless my gain is now coming more from my power tubes thatn my preamp tubes?) but it's definitely a noticable difference.
          I've heard people run thier JSX like that too and they like it better.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Pete, I never really did a comparison with the solid state vs tube rectifier. I tried solid state when I first but dont recall noticing a difference really. I just keep it set in the tube rectifier position.

I'll have to check which I do it when I get home but I believe I do crank master and set volume from the channels volume control. I tried it both ways but can't remember which way I settled on.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I just checked...I crank the channels volume control and use the master volume for level
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Interesting. all the guys at vhtusers.com are going wild about the difference running low channel volumes and a high master volume makes. Haven't tried it yet, I ran it at the gig like you mentioned in the post.

I think the guys in my band would shit their pants if they saw me with the master dimed though!

Pete

Comment

I do the "crank the master, adjust channel volumes" thing with both my Randall RM50B MTS combo and my 2 channel Dual Rectifier.

Comment

I run my Uber with Master cranked and control overall vol with my ch vols as well.

Comment

Yep, VHT`s have that kinda clear, aggressive in your face type of tone!! I use to have a CLX100 and I swear it was going to strip the paint off of my walls I only sold it, because 1 it was a combo and 2 it was a little too tight sounding for me. I like a tight sounding amp, but you couldn`t get it loosened up at all .This was a very old one with no tube rectifier mind you. Jack.

Comment

there is no tube rectifier option on a CLX100

On the 50CL (on this amp it actually sort of makes sense to have it) it still does not make a whole lot of a difference. Just a tiny bit, can be completely ignored. But I guess the market is programmed to look for this option. Mesa probably?

Comment

The tube rectifier drops voltage by quite a bit - it can be thought of as a built in variac of sorts. Also, since one channel can be set to tube rectifier and the other solid state, it can switch rectifiers 'on the the fly' so to speak - something that I don't think Mesa had going on in the 90s. Of course, the louder you have an amp, the more effect the rectifier will have... but the voltage drop does make it a tiny bit more squashed and 'brown' sounding.

I can't wait to gig out with her again.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            The tube rectifier drops voltage by quite a bit - it can be thought of as a built in variac of sorts. Also, since one channel can be set to tube rectifier and the other solid state, it can switch rectifiers 'on the the fly' so to speak - something that I don't think Mesa had going on in the 90s. Of course, the louder you have an amp, the more effect the rectifier will have... but the voltage drop does make it a tiny bit more squashed and 'brown' sounding.

I can't wait to gig out with her again.

Pete
                            Sounds like a nice amp Pete. I can't wait until my band starts gigging again to support our newest CD. I am really itching to try out a few tube amps live instead of my Vetta. I always wind up falling back to the Vetta because it is so consitant and easy to set up. I do miss trying out new gear live though which is half the fun for me playing live.
                            I really want to try the Stiletto at a large club where I can actually turn it up a little. I was also thinking about doing a dual amp rig with both my 5150 and the Stiletto.

Comment

I loved the ease of setup, but missed tube amp 'feel' with the vetta. Sure was a great sounding amp though, and I'll probably get another one eventually. The VHT really has some tricks in it though that the Vetta can't touch tone/feel wise, but it certainly isn't as versatile either.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X