Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tc Electronics G sharp, Major , etc.

Hello all,
    I have been looking to replace my Boss GT 8 due to tone suckage. There is no true bypass on it and I 'm throwing in the towel. I have been steered towards TC Electronics. I know some of you own them. I looked at them on there website and they seem to be cool.
    Do they have true bypass? Do they alter your tone? I'm really looking for a Processor without a preamp, no amp modeling at all, just effects. If it has Overdrive effects, can it be wired like the GT 8 so the OD effects are infront of the amp and Wah then piping Chorus, Reverb, Delay, etc in the effects loop? I really want this type of thing and I keep coming up with Tc electronics. One store around here has the cheaper version, The G sharp maybe?? I forget but they can order the better one the G major I think??

Talk to me people,

Dan

the Gmajor has no overdrive/gain. I've been using mine for about 3 years and I am happy with it. I actually broke one of the knobs once the tc fixed it for free, and then upgraded some of the electrical components. It does has a bypass but I don't think is a true hardwire bypass. I have a gt-6 and dumped mine for the same reason, tone suckage. But I never play a song without some type of effect so I guess no true bypass on the gt-6 really didn't matter.

there are MANY other effect units, check out some of the threads to find out more.

The gsharp is the foot controller for the gmajor.

great unit for the price.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I used to own a GT-8. Now, I just got a G-Sharp and I also have a Rocktorn Xpression. I got the G-Sharp for its ease of use. It is as easy as a stomp box to control. I can't stand all the sub-menus and scrolling required by the more advanced units. I lose patience fairly quickly with all the tweaking. The reverbs and delays are pretty good. You do sacrafice features for the ease of use though.

On the Rocktron - I've really only used the presets - the seem to be pretty good for what I use it for. I may sell it to get another G Sharp. I have three heads - and it is a pain to keep rerouting the cables. These are fairly cheap and seem to be good for what I want.

As far as true by-pass on the TC. I'm not sure. 2 of my amps have footswitchable FX loops so I just turn them off when not in use. My ENGL Fireball does not but there is a by-pass on the TC and I don't seem to notice any loss of tone from when it is not hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
        The gsharp is the foot controller for the gmajor.
        You are thinking of the G-Minor. The G-Sharp is a scaled-down rack effects unit.

Comment

Sounds great guys.Keep it coming

Comment

I guess im the only one happy with the GT-8? Only had it for about 10
            days, but im impressed. Cant you just turn off Preamp "A" and Preamp B"?
            Then you would just have the great clean effects?
            I love the monster tone, ala an over the top WASP/ Shark Island tone!
            Maybe my ear isnt trained that well, but going from a SS Crate 2x12
            combo amp with a 10 year old Digitech RP-12 to a DSL 2000 50 wt
            Marshall, and BBE, and the GT-8 im a happy dude. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
              I guess im the only one happy with the GT-8? Only had it for about 10
              days, but im impressed. Cant you just turn off Preamp "A" and Preamp B"?
              Then you would just have the great clean effects?
              I love the monster tone, ala an over the top WASP/ Shark Island tone!
              Maybe my ear isnt trained that well, but going from a SS Crate 2x12
              combo amp with a 10 year old Digitech RP-12 to a DSL 2000 50 wt
              Marshall, and BBE, and the GT-8 im a happy dude. :-)
              Your not the nly one happy with the GT8 man. Actually there are many I'm just not one of them. If you didn't read, I love everything the GT 8 can do except sound good with my gear. It has more then I will ever use.

Comment

The G-Major is great. The only weakspot IMHO is the chorus. It doesn't have the best chorus I ever heard. It does everything else fantastic and it will even channel switch your amp for you. The tuner is great too.

It will not suck tone but keep in mind... ANYTHING introduced in your effect loop will affect your tone. Even a simple patch cable jumped from the send to the return will alter your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  The G-Major is great. The only weakspot IMHO is the chorus. It doesn't have the best chorus I ever heard. It does everything else fantastic and it will even channel switch your amp for you. The tuner is great too.

It will not suck tone but keep in mind... ANYTHING introduced in your effect loop will affect your tone. Even a simple patch cable jumped from the send to the return will alter your tone.
                  As long as it's not changing. The Boss GT 8 changed my tone so much that my Guitar and amps didn't sound like I had the same gear. Wired coming from Boss. I would have thought they would be the ones to have one of the best Processors on the market. I guess when you own something that does so much (Swiss army Knife thing).

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                    As long as it's not changing. The Boss GT 8 changed my tone so much that my Guitar and amps didn't sound like I had the same gear. Wired coming from Boss. I would have thought they would be the ones to have one of the best Processors on the market. I guess when you own something that does so much (Swiss army Knife thing).
                    The G-Major does have a hard bypass. The GT-6 doesn't. I would have assumed the GT-8 would have one. I am surprised it doesn't. I had no luck with using my GT-6 as a signal processor. I experienced a drastic change in tone too.

Comment

I loved the G major that I had. I just needed to scale down my rig since I'm playing mainly at home now. The best way I found to run it with my Rectoverb was to come out of the slave out of my amp, into the G major then into another power amp or combo in order to separate the wet signal and keep my true amp tone at the same time. I've switched to a Boss ME-50 now. It's not the best but it gets the job done. It doesn't change my tone at all when not in use. Might be another option for you.

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                        I loved the G major that I had. I just needed to scale down my rig since I'm playing mainly at home now. The best way I found to run it with my Rectoverb was to come out of the slave out of my amp, into the G major then into another power amp or combo in order to separate the wet signal and keep my true amp tone at the same time. I've switched to a Boss ME-50 now. It's not the best but it gets the job done. It doesn't change my tone at all when not in use. Might be another option for you.

Yep, the Boss ME-50 is really good. Its basically a Boss GT-6 effects package. Very nice piece.

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                          The Me -50 doesn't allow you to put the effects in the right order.
                          It has a OD section, you have to use them in the chain they provide. So meaning you have to wire the ME-50 in front of your preamp to use. This does bad things if you want to use Delay and chorus with your drive channel. Now you have the Delay and chorus in front of your preamp. That sucks.
                          What the ME-50 should have done was have the 4 cable method. Then you can put the OD section in front of the preamp and insert the modulation effects in your effects loop. Now the you can boost your drive channel if you want, then add in Reverb where it belongs.
                          I would own the ME-50 if it had this. I like it has no amp modeling. I have no use for that. I play with the GT8's modeling to fool around but I would not use it live.
                          Boss needs to make a ME-50 built like the GT 8.

Actually I just got done checking out the G system. Man that is one nice and perfect system. I like it alot. I wish they had the same exact thing only in a smaller scale. That would be cool.

Dan

Comment

I have both a G-Major & an Xpression... both are very good in the no tone suckage department as long as the input and output levels are set correctly.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I switched from a GT-6 to a G-Major, and haven't looked back. I LOVE the GT-x processors, but with my amp setup, the tone suckage is just too negative.
                              "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Working...
                              X