Straight or Slant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight or Slant

I've recently been told by several dealers that straight cabs sell more than slant. I've always owned 4x12 slant cabs. What is the difference other than cosmetic?
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

I think the design idea behind the slant cab is to project more of the sound toward the player, hence giving a better monitor-effect to the player while on stage in a band setting.

I often tend to think that a straight cab somehow sounds "better" than a slanted version, my theory is that it (the perceived difference in sound) has to do with all 4 speakers pushing air in the same direction.
    Just try different ones, and go with what you like!
    Personally, I just recently bought a slant cab for my new ENGL halfstack.

Comment

I thought slant cabs were designed so it looked better with the head on top. Marshall had original designed a "full-stack" to have 2 straight cabs but the head looked funny on top because the size didn't match... so he slanted the top cab to complete the look.

Comment

I'm a dedicate straight cab guy for full stacks and slant cabs for half stacks..period!!

Straight cabs sound best in full stacks because the baffle points right at your face where you want it..

I don't get the whole slant on top in a stack concept being up that high..the baffle is pointing up in the air..playing to birds..that don't make sense..

It should be designed where you have two of the same sized cabs in a stack, and the bottom baffle would simliar to a slant cab..which would project the air in your face, where you want it....like it would be in a half stack position..

I think slant cabs sound beefier, prolly due to the sheer masss of the cab..and they are more projectional where you can aim the sound more acurately..

Slant cabs a great for half stacks because of the above reason I explained and also they disperse the air in a wider range..

I always thought that and always will..

Bill Z
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Depending on how the straight cab is built will tell whether is sounds alot different then a slant. First most obvious, if it is a true straight it will have more air mass which changes the sound of the cab slightly.

Like Bill said, it push's the sound down low and not up to your ears, so standing in front you will not hear the highs as well, but honestly they say to hear how you actually sound you should stand at least 10 feet away from your cab.

Now if it is a straight but it slants up in the cabinet, well then it will pretty close to a normal slant cab, however that little ledge might deflect some of the highs away from you.

Honestly I prefer straigt all around, I have 4 straights, but two are for sale which one is pretty much sold. And I have one slant. But my two main cabs are qa bogner straight (slanted though) and a mesa traditional true straight front.

Comment

I prefer straight although I use both straight and slant live.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
              Depending on how the straight cab is built will tell whether is sounds alot different then a slant. First most obvious, if it is a true straight it will have more air mass which changes the sound of the cab slightly.

Like Bill said, it push's the sound down low and not up to your ears, so standing in front you will not hear the highs as well, but honestly they say to hear how you actually sound you should stand at least 10 feet away from your cab.

Now if it is a straight but it slants up in the cabinet, well then it will pretty close to a normal slant cab, however that little ledge might deflect some of the highs away from you.

Honestly I prefer straigt all around, I have 4 straights, but two are for sale which one is pretty much sold. And I have one slant. But my two main cabs are qa bogner straight (slanted though) and a mesa traditional true straight front.
              Yes, I have four Straight 1960B Marshall cabs like Siggy running in stereo with my Marshall Rack..I love it..Marshalls are not known for low end but for definitation and quick, tight attack and they really "sing"..but I find that the four straight cabs , with the assist of my BBE 422 does help the Marshall give it some "oomph"..and my 9200 is the first 5881 version which is better for lows that the EL34..so it's a pretty chunky Marshall tone overall.

My Bogner is on a Marshall 1960A slant..which works perfectly because the upper baffle is aimed up at you..and yes, standing away is where people will hear your tone..but you want to use your ear as a mic, up close also..because that's how you would record a speaker anywhoo..you can actually find the sweet spot with your ear..like a mic

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                I think slant cabs sound beefier, prolly due to the sheer masss of the cab..and they are more projectional where you can aim the sound more acurately..
                Bill Z
                Umm, you mean straight cabs are more beefy (more bottom end) right?

Comment

I prefer slanted cabs just for the sound projection aspect alone. I never feel I'm lacking anything because of using slant 4x12's. I have four slants an one straight 4x12
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                    Umm, you mean straight cabs are more beefy (more bottom end) right?

Yep, I fucked up..CORRECT, yes thanks John..

Comment

Working...
                    X