Clark Gainster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark Gainster

I'm sick of my Tube Screamer. Don't get me wrong, I dig what TS can bring to the table, I'm just missing what it leaves in the kitchen. The focused mid-boost and compression works nicely as a lead boost but always seems lacking girth for rhythm.

I had a Klon - it was way better in every way. But when I saw them bringing $500 I sold mine (it ain't worth that much to me). I've had a few others such as the thin and crispy Jekyl & Hyde, a few DODs, a few Digitech's, etc. They all ended up being so fundamentally similar to a TS - no depth and/or girth.

I was talking about this a week or so ago with Eddie over at Indoor Storm. He suggested I try the Clark Gainster. I tried it with a Tyler dual-hum Mongoose Special into a CAE OD-50 with a Marshall 4x12 and a Port City Blackface style combo. The Gainster sounded really great. It kept the full range tone in tact! I am immediately happy that this not going to be yet another TS knock off. I ran it through a variety of gain/tone settings as well as different playing dynamics - light/hard picking, fingerpicking, volume rolloff, etc. The Gainster responded extremely well. Needless to say the Gainster followed me home.

I hooked it up to my CAE 3+SE/G-System rig in a loop and used it at practice the other night. I had very little time to dial it in but the results were fantastic. I used it on the clean channel to add a moderate crunch tone and on the second channel to get it extra dirty for a couple tunes. The Gainster is very responsive like a good tube amp. The sound of the overdive is very natural. It really cut through evenly unlike a TS.

So far I am very impressed with the Gainster. With that rig I have 5 basic tones from the 3 channels of the 3+SE and the Gainster applied to channel 1 & 2 via a loop - I have it set at about unity gain and get my solo boost from the one built into the G-System.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

It is great when you finally find that *it* your missing

Pedals can drive your crazy faster than most gear items.

I feel the same way about the TS, great for leads buy not so good on the rhythm stuff.

Mind telling how much the Clark pedal runs ???

Comment

Originally posted by hammer84 View Post
      Mind telling how much the Clark pedal runs ???
      I think I paid $130 for it.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
      X