Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Road King Series II anyone try one yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Road King Series II anyone try one yet?

this thing looks very intriguing.
    I've never owned a Mesa but I'm thinking this would be the one to own?
    sometime in 2007 I want to downsize from the 5150 and the B-52 to one amp.
    I'm thinking either this or JSX?
    I know there is a big price difference but is it worth it?
    Last edited by kmanick; 12-17-2006, 03:00 PM.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Haven't had the opportunity yet to plug into the RK Series II but from listening to your clips you can plug right into a goat's bunghole and you would still sound awesome dude!
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Originally posted by bonghits View Post
      Haven't had the opportunity yet to plug into the RK Series II but from listening to your clips you can plug right into a goat's bunghole and you would still sound awesome dude!
      Hahaha that's the craziest compliment I have ever heard!:ROTF:
      "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
        that is pretty funny.
        Thanks, that's definitely a first
        also to any JSX owners, does the switch between the 6l6's and the 34's
        dramatacally change the sound?
        I think the road king is probably overkill for me but being able to set up one channel as 6l6's and one as el34's and one as a mix with the 2 sounds really
        cool
        doesn't Noodles have one of these things?
        where are ya??????

Comment

Noodles has version 1, i have owned version 1 as well. Great amps but what style of music are you going for?

Honestly it is a great amp and you can get many sounds. Version 2 is suppose to have the clean of the lonestar, and they improved the brit channel as well.

i havent had the chance to play version 2 so i cant give you a honest review. But if you like the mesa tone you will love the roadking.

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
          :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
          that is pretty funny.
          Thanks, that's definitely a first
          also to any JSX owners, does the switch between the 6l6's and the 34's
          dramatacally change the sound?
          I think the road king is probably overkill for me but being able to set up one channel as 6l6's and one as el34's and one as a mix with the 2 sounds really
          cool
          doesn't Noodles have one of these things?
          where are ya??????

Comment

Well I'm looking for a wide range of sounds , that's why I think this amp may appeal to me.
            My B-52 is voiced very similar to a Dual Rect but It's not organic sounding at all, so when I want that type of tone I use my 5150.
            I was thinking since you have all of these different configurations with
            this thing that maybe I could get a nice wide range of tones out of it.
            I haven't had the chance to try one yet .

Comment

I tried the Roadster which is almost the same thing. I think the JSX crunch and high gain are better, but if you want twangy cleans go with the RK.

See comments here

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63290

Comment

The RK can do it all. If you like the recto voicing then you can't go wrong.

Comment

I've owned a Series 1 and you can get pretty much any Mesa sound from the amp. To answer one of your questions, yes the EL34s and 6L6s have vastly different sounds. Mixing the two didn't do much for me, but it does give you something like 180W of headroom. As cookiemonster noted, you won't be getting a JSX style high-gain; it's still a rectifier after all.
                  Scott

Comment

why was I under the assumption that Mesa Rectifiers had loads of gain?
                    are you telling me that the JSX is a gainier amp than a Dual Rectifier?
                    are all these heavy bands that use them using stomp boxes in front of them?
                    Last edited by kmanick; 12-18-2006, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I owned a Series I and auditioned a Series II... I did not find enough of a difference to justify the difference in cash (I got a great price on a new Series I a month or two before the Series II came out). I thought the Series I was just the cat's meow. SO Versatile and awesome sounding. Don't like the Roadster as much.
                      Last edited by Robotechnology; 12-18-2006, 08:19 PM.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                        why was I under the assumption that Mesa Rectifiers had loads of gain?
                        are you telling me that the JSX is a gainier amp than a Dual Rectifier?
                        are all these heavy bands that use them using stomp boxes in front of them?

Mesa Rectifiers do have loads of gain. I can't imagine anyone thinking that they don't.

Comment

apparently not enough for cannibal corpse...their guitarist puts a boss metalzone before his triple rec...

Comment

Originally posted by BrutalityIsLaw View Post
                            apparently not enough for cannibal corpse...their guitarist puts a boss metalzone before his triple rec...
                            They don't use the MZ for more gain. They use it as an EQ and a "clean boost" to tighten up the low end.

Comment

The recto channels have lots of gain but the bottom end is not tight like the JSX by my ears. If you mainly want the high gain why not just get a recto or the jsx? Are you really going to use the cleans in the RK?

Comment

Working...
                              X