Genz Benz El Diablo 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genz Benz El Diablo 60

I just bought one of these in the 1x12 combo version. I did a search of the forums and nothing came back, which kind of surprises me. These amps are amazingly versatile. First, the gain control on the clean channel can go from sparkling to smooth overdrive. Next, the hot channel has four combinations of modes (high-compressed, high-dynamic, classic-compressed, classic-dynamic). There's also a switch on the back to switch from Pentode to Triode. Each one of these controls makes an audible difference in the tone of the amp.

Each channel has its own active EQ which are extremely sensitive. It reminds me of how the treble knob on a Mesa Recto responds, but with all three knobs and not just the treble. Tons of tone options with just the EQ.

The best part? It still sounds good at low volumes, not getting thin and buzzy like other amps from bigger names.

Bottom line, this amp sounds amazing regardless of what style you choose. It ships with EL34s in the power amp, but they can be switched to 6L6/5881 if you choose. I haven't had a chance to try 6L6s in the amp, but from what I read it tightens up the low end and adds a bit of crunch.

And before anyone goes ,
    I had hoped to post some pics, but the fiancee took the camera to NYC with her this weekend. Assuming she lets me keep the amp () I'll get some pics up here Monday night.

If anyone has a chance to try one of these, don't pass it up. It destroys the Rectoverb and JCM900, and gives enough versatility to pass for both of them.
    Scott

Awesome. Can't wait to see some pics. Are the different mode combinations in the gain channel footswitchable?

Comment

Someone here wrote a review on the El Diablo awhile ago. From what I remember, they said they were pretty disappointed and that it sucked.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by JBall008 View Post
        Awesome. Can't wait to see some pics. Are the different mode combinations in the gain channel footswitchable?
        Yes, everything is footswitchable. Channel, Classic-High gain, dynamic-compressed texture, and on-off global attack (kind of a upper-mid freq. boost).

Originally posted by toejam
        Someone here wrote a review on the El Diablo awhile ago. From what I remember, they said they were pretty disappointed and that it sucked.
        There is an older El Diablo 100 model which is really a different amp...maybe that's what they had? In any case, no two person's ears are the same, so who knows?
        Scott

Comment

I had the 100 and I thought it sucked. Mainly because I blew it up within 2 minutes of powering it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
            I had the 100 and I thought it sucked. Mainly because I blew it up within 2 minutes of powering it up.
            Interesting. Mine looks like it's built like a tank, and everything has a very solid feel. Then again, it also hasn't blown up yet
            Scott

Comment

The early ones had this problem. They fixed them and sent them out again. I think it was a transformer problem that they worked out.

Comment

Working...
              X