No announcement yet.

ok, time for some tube advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mh...maybe i'm getting you guys wrong, but the cobra sounds full enough as it is, i'm actually talking about getting a brighter, less bottom heavy sound

thanks for the chinese 9th generation recommendation, i'll check em out asap.

Comment

Anybody had experience with using a 5751 in place of a 12AX7?

I'm thinking of trying one to reduce the gain in the clean channel of my Piranha. I hear a 12AU7 works pretty well for that purpose too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle View Post
        mh...maybe i'm getting you guys wrong, but the cobra sounds full enough as it is, i'm actually talking about getting a brighter, less bottom heavy sound

thanks for the chinese 9th generation recommendation, i'll check em out asap.
        The TungSol will "sweeten" your midrange - at least it really did in V1 one of my Mesa. It's not really "brighter" - the top end is still pretty similar - but the mids are, well, more musical. I don't know how else to describe it.
        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

How about a different cab . I remember reading somewhere that cabs/speakers make much more of a difference than changing tubes . That is as long as the tubes are working fine.
          I remember now .... it was Mike Soldano .

Mark
          Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_kv2 View Post
            I tryed 5 tung sol gold pin 12ax7s in my cobra and it was too much. It took away from the chord definition and lost its clarity. It basically sounded like an Engl with the gain maxed out. 1 tung sol might do the trick. I've heard from other cobra users is to use electro harmonics in v1 and v4 and in the rest use shuguang 9th generation chinese tubes. As far as power tubes, ruby el34bstr seem to be the flavor of choice. I have Kt-77s in mine and the preamp tubes are all stock Svetlanas. This was odd. I recieved a cobra with svetlanas. Anyways, I can't complain since I think the Svetlanas are fucking awesome in that amp. They sound huge and fuller than the electro harmonics. They are also sturdier and more rugged.

Well I'd say by reading this..he's has a Cobra..stick with what ya got and try a different route..like cabs, speakers..maybe an EQ for expample

Ever Try a BBE with it..my Uber hates it..but loves Tung Sols..maybe it's worth a shot with the Cobra..it's a flip of the coin really..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The Chinese tubes will definitely make it brighter as mentioned. My personal preference however are older RCA tubes. Use a 7025, just a low noise high gain military grade 12ax7, for the v1 position. The rest of the positions RCA 12ax7a's will work nice. Very bright, clear and harmonic preamp tubes. They used to be used as the stock tubes that Fender amps where shipped with. So that may give you an idea of how bright and clear they can be.

Bert I used a 5751 for a clean channel tube for years. It will definitely cut the gain and sounds great in the clean position of any preamp I have tried it in.
              We must!
              We must!
              We must increase the bust!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!
              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Id try a parametric EQ 1st. You can find that sweet frequency respose with a parametric pretty easy IMHO. Is the amp and cab in the same room all the time? The room can affect what youre hearing also. Try boosting around 1200 khz. You could also CUT the frequuncies you dont like. I usually cut out what I dont like rather than boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1 View Post
                  Bert I used a 5751 for a clean channel tube for years. It will definitely cut the gain and sounds great in the clean position of any preamp I have tried it in.
                  Excellent, I just ordered a NOS GE JAN 5751...looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X