Need amp suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need amp suggestion

Ok, the problem is I have a Marshall MG100HDFX and a Crate GX130CH. I have had them both hooked up to a Randall 4-12 cab w/Celestian V 30's and a Crate bottom with 4-12's. I am using a Jackson 2005 DX10D with DD pickups and a RP200 pedal. The problem is I need to get rid of one. The question is which one? In contrary to numerous complaints about the Marshall I actually think it's very bright and warm sounding compared to the Crate. I also want to add that I used both as a full stack setup not as two seperate half stacks. The crate has a heavier bottom end and pushes a bit harder. So, which one should I keep?

well, which one do you play more?
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I haven't played either very long. I would say I have played both the same. I suppose what I am really asking here is which one is better and why?

Comment

sorry. can't help you. the only thing i know about either one of those amps is that they are solid state.

hopefully someone will come along and help you decide.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

i'd rather use the crate through the randall cab. (i don't like crate cabs) but their heads are just fine.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

ditch the marshall, the marshall solid states are a dime a dozen, plus i like crates better for shred.

Comment

Well I played the crap out of both for the last couple days and have decided that even though the Marshall looks better and the knobs are cooler and the fan in the back is neat and all the thing sounds terrible at concert volume compared to the Crate. Strange how it carries the Marshall logo its not very good sounding. It has some pretty cool features but not worth the flat, treble, low gain sound this thing puts out. Clean isn't too bad but starts to break up at higher volumes. The Marshall might be better off as a half stack studio amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast1 View Post
                Strange how it carries the Marshall logo its not very good sounding.
                Hehe...well, I wouldn't take the logo into consideration :P Some would argue that Jackson, Bogner, Gibson, etc ∞ have put out some crap in the past, too I'd plug into a toilet tank if it sounded good.

Comment

Keep the Crate, ditch the Marshall. The original Valvestate series is better than anything they're putting out today.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a Crate gx130c head. Do you know what H stands for in Crate gx130cH? Mine looks different than yours too. I don't like it very much, too buzzy sounding, too cold and too muddy. Lacks mids too.

Comment

Usually, on an amp the H means head.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Keep the Crate, ditch the Marshall. The original Valvestate series is better than anything they're putting out today.
                        Funny how I was gonna go and try out a valvestate tomorrow. Are they any good?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                          Usually, on an amp the H means head.
                          Ok, they are the same .

Comment

The valvestate sound like Zakk when the gain is cranked. But at high volumes for long periods, the cooling fan is rather noisy.

Comment

Working...
                            X