No announcement yet.

Does this amp exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought 6L6 and KT88/6550 used the same socket...anyway, the reason for one tube is low wattage, because I'm looking for a bedroom amp with tubes. I'm trying to stay away from the attenuators because I hear they burn up tubes (correct me if I'm wrong). Since my band isn't gigging, and only practices about once every two months, I really don't need the volume of the 50W/100W amps, but I am a huge fan of tube tone.

I'd be okay putting a pedal in front of it as long as it wouldn't kill the tone.

Toejam: I tried the F-30 and it was still kinda loud Sounded nice though, if a bit punchy.

As far as sound, I'd be going for a tight and smooth. Maybe I'll try out one of the AC15 reissues.

Oldschool: Welcome to the forums. I'm honored that your first post was in my thread How hard is it to build an amp? How long did it take?

I like the Peters amp idea and sound, but $2250 is a tad much.
    Last edited by Spivonious; 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM.
    Scott

Comment

A tube amp for low volume bedroom playing is a bit of a misnomer - even a 1/2 watt amp cranked is LOUD. You're not going to be able to crank any tube amp at bedroom volumes without some sort of attenuation.

Pete

Comment

You may be better served trying to find a high gain 50 to 120 watt channel switcher that has a master volume with the right type of taper.

The Peavey JSX is definitely a winner for that. 3 channels, all the gain you will ever need, a loop that accepts pedals and rack gear AND a master volume that will let you get great high gain tones at very low volumes.

I play at church and am very limited with stage volume. I have gone thru tons of amps and modelers trying to get great tones at low volumes. The JSX gave me great high gain tones at low volumes.

Comment

People have different ideas of what "bedroom" volume is too. If you live in an apartment and like to play late at night (and don't want the cops called) then I feel a tube amp is a waste of cash. Modelers, solid state amps or any simple clean amp with various pedals are good choices.
          "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

There are levels of building, easy to VERY hard, go to 18watt.com check out the 18watt Lite IIa or IIb, I live in a Very Upper class apt. and my FireFly 1.5w works great "no cops", but if "I" where you, knowing what I know now I would build an 18watt Lite IIa and "I can not believe I am going to say this" get a Crate PowerBlock they are cheap and will work great while you are building the amp and you can get okay tone at very low volumes.
            If you follow the layout and double check EVERYTHING starting with an 18watt or equal, you will be fine building your own amp.
            WARNING: Building your own equipment is a drug and has a very high rate of addiction....................

Comment

Well, it's a townhouse...but I wouldn't be playing loud late at night anyway (at least not past 10PM). I'd just like an amp that could be turned up more than 2/10 before worrying about police intervention.

I do have a Vox Valvetronix right now which is good, and is by far the best tube modeler under $1000 I have heard. I don't know, I guess I just want that warmth and roundness that only tubes can bring.

I've tried the JSX but found it too loose for my tastes. Maybe what I want really doesn't exist

I guess maybe my question now becomes, what attenuator is the best, and why?
              Scott

Comment

Musician Friend has a Koch 20 watts 3 channels el84.

Comment

The powerblocks are pretty good (I have one). I wouldn't consider it high gain though (at least not without a pedal).

Here a clip I did with mine.
                  http://www.5thfret.com/crate.mp3

Originally posted by OldSchool View Post
                  There are levels of building, easy to VERY hard, go to 18watt.com check out the 18watt Lite IIa or IIb, I live in a Very Upper class apt. and my FireFly 1.5w works great "no cops", but if "I" where you, knowing what I know now I would build an 18watt Lite IIa and "I can not believe I am going to say this" get a Crate PowerBlock they are cheap and will work great while you are building the amp and you can get okay tone at very low volumes.
                  If you follow the layout and double check EVERYTHING starting with an 18watt or equal, you will be fine building your own amp.
                  WARNING: Building your own equipment is a drug and has a very high rate of addiction....................
                  "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Peavey Classic 20 with a distortion pedal would work. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by fr0sty View Post
                      The powerblocks are pretty good (I have one). I wouldn't consider it high gain though (at least not without a pedal).

Here a clip I did with mine.
                      http://www.5thfret.com/crate.mp3
                      I've got a PowerBlock, also. It's definitely not high gain by itself. Most people use it as a cheap power amp, and it works very good for that purpose, powering a POD, Boss GT6/GT8 or whatever.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I"m using a Univalve with with 5751>7025>6v6 tube setup. Killer classic metal tone. Too loud to be a bedroom amp, though.

Comment

Working...
                        X