Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall VS. Carvin (JCM900, DSL100 or Legacy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall VS. Carvin (JCM900, DSL100 or Legacy)

Hello

I'm in search of a new amp.

In my country, this are the options I get... JCM900 Reissue, JCM2000 DSL100 and the Carvin Legacy.

I play DEATH METAL, but then again, the overall "gain" is not my issue since I always boost my amps with a 10 band EQ (like Kerry King from Slayer does), so actually what I'm looking for is the correct tone.
    Now, this question goes towards a specific issue I always have when buying new gear...

QUALITY

Basically the comparison would be between MARSHALL and CARVIN.
    I've seen Marshalls and played with them, and they're ok, and also, they're expensive compared to Carvins.

So, are Carvin's "less quality" amps? I mean a Legacy costs half of what a DSL100 would cost (almost) and the same goes with the cab.

What's the deal?

Also, I notice the JCM900 has 5881's and not the typical EL34's, I guess it sets it appart from the original Marshall sound, but then again, I haven't played through one, the purchase will be done by ordering the amp since they don't have any, just by special order.

Help me out...

simple... although amp tone is subjective so keep that in mind.

Carvin Legacy. Great tone, great quality, great price, but it might not be the correct tone for death metal. Its very organic and midrangy and perfectly suited for that Steve Vai lead tone. Its a fine amp.
    A better choice for death metal with Carvin is the MTS3200. Its even cheaper!!
    Marshall JCM900. I think it has a great metal tone, great price and it would be suitable for death metal. The problem lies in the inconsistancy and not really the build quality. No 2 JCM900's sound the same. You need to hear the one you are interested in buying. When you get a good one.. its REALLY good.
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL/TSL. Great metal tone for any genre or style of metal. People question the build quality but I think the reason for that is 2 fold. #1. Vintage Marshall snobs hate anything that is not a JCM800 or Plexi. #2. Marshall has sold so many of these amps that many of them went to kids who don't know the first thing about the care that a tube amp requires... thus.... they are returned for repair.
    I have alot of amps at my disposal and I have a TSL60 head that I think is great. My bandmate plays a DSL100 and it hasn't given him a stitch of trouble. A rehearsal studio I have been to has DSL's in every room and they keep running strong after much abuse night after night.

To answer your last sentences directly....
    Carvin Legacy is a better built amp than the DSL100. It also has a much better clean channel but I think the DSL100 is a better choice for death metal.
    I personally like EL34's better for death metal but thats my ears.

Comment

Built quality as in materials, final looks, no tolex (or covering) left unpasted, etc etc?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
        Built quality as in materials, final looks, no tolex (or covering) left unpasted, etc etc?

Build quality meaning electronics. Cosmetics has never been an issue.

Comment

I'm with jgcable... go with the DSL2000. The Carvin Legacy WILL NOT work to get a typical death metal rhythm tone... solos sure but, unless you like the way this sounds (unboosted Legacy clip):

http://romero.justpassingthru.net/mp...l%20Legacy.mp3

You won't like it for rhythms.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I will boost it, always do to my amps, not necesarily to get MORE gain (in the 5150 case for example) I do it mainly to get a more focused distortion and in most cases, add a bit of kick (Marshalls, Laneys, etc).

Let's resume things up to quality. Why does the Carvin Halfstack costs the same as the DSL100 head... I mean, has "cheap" written all over it, NOT TO SAY that expensive means better, just wanted to know, maybe they're considered "economy" amps or something, I actually want the best amp in terms of quality (build, etc), and tone (in general).

Comment

All the amps you mentioned are good quality. Go with tone and features when you make your choice.
              If you play death metal you will not like the Legacy so it doesn't really matter how good its made.
              The Marshall is more expensive because of the name.

Comment

With carvin, you deal directly with them. There's no middle man.

Comment

I myself play a DSL401 combo, and its a great amp. Though the OD1 channel is pretty weak even with a OD and Distortion pedal in front of it. I've played a DSL100 at a local shop and the two amps [dsl 401 and 100] compare pretty close tone wise.

As far as quality goes, I'd put money on a USA made Carvin over a Marshall. I spent $250 in repairs on my DSL not more than a year ago. I had to have one of the tube sockets replaced, and it had well over 100 cold solder joints, which I had done at a certified shop. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I've heard rumor of poor quality control on the DSL models.

The Carvin legacy amps are nice, but I dont think I'd want one for death metal, it may be a little too tame.

If you're interested in a Carvin you may want to try out a V3, that thing is pretty sick. Its a very versitile amp, and would probably handle the kind of music you want to play with no problem.

IIRC, Carvin does have a no questions asked return policy that will allow you to try the amp for a few days and then return it if you dont like it.

Later,

Steve
                  Last edited by UFORocks; 10-29-2006, 10:26 PM.
                  Guitars:
                  '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                  '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                  '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                  Amp:
                  VOX AD30VT

Comment

Yeah, I just saw the V3 and I think I'm drooling...

Plus, I'm looking for a new amp because now I don't just play death metal, I also play hard rock, so I wanted a 2 channel amp or something, but not a Mesa (not enough $$) but when I saw and heard the V3 (on the website), WOW!

Comment

I'd buy the MTS from Carvin were I looking for a new tube stack

Comment

The V3 will get you a death metal sound for sure!

Comment

Check out "Genuine Imitation" on soundclick, that guy has a lot of V3 clips out there.
                          Guitars:
                          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                          Amp:
                          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Id go with Carvin.

Carvins durability is better. They use parts that are of a higher standard for the application so the amp will last longer. Plus they arent cheap they only sell factory direct. They Vai amp would be way higher if it was at a GC. I have seen Vai use his amp for some drop tuning metal and it works fine. Maybe not as well as a V3 or mts but its good for metal. Go with the V3 IMHO unless price is an issue then go with the MTS.

Comment

Ok... I just paid for a V3 head and cab (with Vintage 30's), it's getting here in 2 weeks.

Now, is it Groove Tubes loaded? Pre and power amp tubes? How many 12ax7's?
                              Last edited by LEOKV2; 10-31-2006, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X