JMP-1 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMP-1 Owners

If I was to look for a JMP-1, what years should I look for...and why?

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

I don't think it really matters..

They came out in early '96 when I bought mine new..I believe the specs didn't change..I could be wrong..but I don't think so..

The first 9200 and 9100 poweramps sure did..they origianlly came with 5881s ..then quickly went to EL34s for some reason..they sound like night and day..

I don't like the EL34 version..not at all..Marshalls are all mids basically..the EL34s just add to that..

where the 5881 (6L6) have a much warmer tone, more bottom end and a nice sharp edge to them when cranked..or at all volume levels really..somewhat of a scooped tone compared to EL34..IMO

Several friends bought the same set up I have, including John..9200/JMP-1/JFX-1..but they all got the EL34 version..agree the 5881s do sound much cooler..

I have EL34s in my Uber, my only complaint with that was it had to much Marshall-like "Honk" when cranked..but the Tung Sols preamp tubes.remedied that big time..so the EL34s work well at this time..in fact if I were to convert the Uber to KT88s, 6L6s, or 6550s.. at this point..I'd assume it would be much too dark..The JJ's that were in there are very nasily, all mids..

I should try the two Tung Sols in the JMP-1 for shits and giggles..but that unit is kind of a pain in the ass to open up..so I'll do when I have to..and it sounds fine for what it does..

The Marshall is much more player friendly than the Bogner..it sorta maks mistakes and shit..which is cool sometimes..when your doing all kinds of divebombs and squeals..the JMP-1 does that VERY well!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm just the opposite. I prefer the EL34 100/100 over the 9200 because I like the EL34 "honk" You want to change out the EL34's in your Uber, but I put EL34's in my Recto, and Mark Series Mesa's to get the EL34 tone. EL34's are the power tube I prefer, but then again, I love the tone of Marshalls, and I think EL34's are one of the essential parts of the signature Marshall tone. I don't like 6550's or 5881's in my older Marshalls either, I jerk 'em out and convert it to EL34's as fast as possible. Different strokes.
      Last edited by adrenaline junkie; 10-27-2006, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Yes, lots of dudes do like that "Honk"..even the dude at The Tube store told me that...because they do have more "cut" in ..of course...Marshalls are fine in the department anyway..

I go for a very bassy heavy chug..but tight as possible..Marshalls are not know for their low end..so the 5881s fit my needs much better for this set up..and with a little assist from my BBE 422..

The tone I always gravitate to is early Van Halen..it MUST give me that..so I dial in that kind of tone..but with more gain and low end..If an amp doesn't nail "Aint Talkin'..I ain't buyin'..

The Uber has EL34s and I didn't like when cranked ..until it darkened up big time with tung sol preamps tubes..so it just worked out to be a good balance..besides unlike Marshall the Bogner is SUPER bottom heavy..it sound like a bass amp in comparson..and only with one cab..and no BBE.

I run my Marshall set up into four 1960B cabs..and the Bogner with one 1960a cab and the Bogner still moves much more air..it makes my legs tingle , shakes the room..and my son's drum kit..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          I don't think it really matters..

They came out in early '96 when I bought mine new..I believe the specs didn't change..I could be wrong..but I don't think so..

I guess that is good. I'd figure that after some 10yrs+ that this unit would have gone through some type of upgrades.

thanks!

joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com
          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

the only upgrade that i know of, was on the price!

Comment

The JMP-1 actually came out in 1992 as far as I know. I opened mine up awhile back and I believe it is a 1993 or 1994 model.

Comment

Working...
              X