Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best amp for $1200

I'm in the mood for amp buying. Here's what I'd like:
    • 2+ channels (preferably three: clean, rhythm, lead)
    • reverb in the amp
    • good sound at bedroom volumes, but able to crank when needed
    • under 100 pounds (aka easily transportable)

As far as the sound I'm going for, I'd prefer something versatile, but not super crazy (i.e. Vetta). I'm looking for a good early metal sound (think Kill Em All, Peace Sells) with a nice lead tone (think Satch, Petrucci). Clean sounds should be uber clean. I like the Recto tone, I like the JCM900 tone, I like the AC15 tone.

Any suggestions for what to try out? I know the <$1200 limits me incredibly, but I'm very open to used gear.
    Scott

JSX and a holy grail reverb pedal. Gets you 3 channels, tube, great cleans, a good JCM800 type rhythm channel, and a lead channel with plenty of gain. FX loop is one of the better I've used, can run 6L6 or EL34 tubes. Put a holy grail in the loop and you're set.

Pete

Comment

how about a hd147 head with a 2x12 cab from genz benz or a recto cab.
      the hd is an amazing sounding amp and it's pretty light, versatile and easy to use.

btw, i had a hd147 (vetta owner now) and both amps can nail the seek and destroy tone.
      Last edited by data187; 10-20-2006, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
        JSX and a holy grail reverb pedal. Gets you 3 channels, tube, great cleans, a good JCM800 type rhythm channel, and a lead channel with plenty of gain. FX loop is one of the better I've used, can run 6L6 or EL34 tubes. Put a holy grail in the loop and you're set.

Pete
        Listening the the samples on Peavey's site through cheap headphones wasn't too impressive. Sounded similar to the B-52 tube head. I'll keep an eye out for it in the stores though to try it out in person.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          Listening the the samples on Peavey's site through cheap headphones wasn't too impressive. Sounded similar to the B-52 tube head. I'll keep an eye out for it in the stores though to try it out in person.
          Going by web clips isn't the best idea in the world. I'd check one out in person - I've also checked out the B-52s and they don't sound anything alike IMHO.

Pete

Comment

The Mesa F-series is nice... F-30, F-50, F-100. They're available in combo and head versions.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There are a lot of options out there for $1200. I own LOTS of amps, but I still love my $400-500 5150's.The Engl stuff is great. Mesa Mark IV.

Comment

I've read about the Holy Grail on Harmony Central. Most of the reviewers had problems with them within 90 days. Is this common?

I've tried the F series of Mesas...didn't like them at the time, but that was also right after I had played the Road King.

Guitarted: What Engl models would you suggest?
                Scott

Comment

How about a Randall MTS series head? I have the 50watt version and so far (two weeks) it has been great. The ability to use 6L6, EL34, KT77, etc... power tubes, external bias adjustment, two effects loops (series and parallel), and the ability to completely change your tone for less than $200 by swapping modules. I have the Blackface (better than the Fender Supersonic blackface setting IMO), XTC, and Ultra modules. I had the SL+ briefly and it sounded great as well. This amp is very underrated.

Comment

Be careful with the MTS if you run many effects - I got rid of mine because I didn't like how the loops worked.

Pete

Comment

I've fooled with the loop a bit, but don't really use it. Do any effects loops work well?

I've only been using a tiny bit of reverb... the mix knob is on no more than 1.

Comment

Mark III.

Everything is in there......

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                          I've read about the Holy Grail on Harmony Central. Most of the reviewers had problems with them within 90 days. Is this common?
                          Fuck the Holy Grail. You want the ultimate reverb pedal? Get the VerbZilla from Line 6. It destroyed the Holy Grail so badly it was laughable. Hands down the best reverb pedal I have ever heard...and I am a reverb NUT.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

What about the B-52 AT100 / AT212? I've heard they have some quality issues, but otherwise sound great.
                            Scott

Comment

Sounds to me like you need a Vetta if you want Vox, JCM900 and Rectifier.
                              Another option is the Marshall TSL. Personally, I think it does an excellent JCM900 and with some tweaking it moves in the direction of a Rectifier. It also has a nice clean channel that can be pushed to break up like a Vox AC15. The TSL60 is plenty loud, not terribly heavy, has nice reverb too.
                              Of course.. the Mark III/IV would also be GREAT choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X