Major poweramp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major poweramp problem

Hey guys. I recently sold my Peavey poweramp off to SPEIRO on this forum, i thought all was fine with it, except that it may need some new tubes.

I just got an email from him and he said

"I took it to practice tonight for the 1st time and managed to do one song before it started sparking through the top vent, got a strong burning smell then it lit up like a Christmas tree and died. The standby light on the channel I was going through flickered just before it happened."

What could have caused this to happen?

It's never happened to me before. Can this be fixed or is it totalled?
    Last edited by pagemalicious; 10-20-2006, 12:11 PM.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

That doesn´t sound good... I associate strong burning smells with fried output transformers, but it can be just about anything. Hard to tell what, really, other than that something probably has shorted out and hopefully done minimal damage. Let him have a good tech look at it and give an opinion/estimate... and work something out from there.

Comment

The good news is that Peavey repair shops are all over the place. The bad news is that obviously something burned up. Cross your fingers for it to be just a screen resistor or something like that... but it could be a transformer, which would suck. Have him take it to a dealer for an estimate is what I would do, as it could be a fairly easy fix.

Pete

Comment

My best guess is a major connection came loose during shipping, but yes, have it looked at by a tech.

Comment

Working...
        X