Speaker emulation box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker emulation box?

I've never really bonded with my PODXT Live... Sometimes I like it, but most of the time I can't seem to get a very good recorded tone out of it. I started experimenting with my Tonebone Hot British distortion, putting that into the POD, turning on the "Tube Preamp" model and cabinet emulation. I got some nice lifelike tones out of it, plus it feels like a real amp. My question is, are there any devices available that will emulate a 4x12 cabinet for recording? Price is an issue... I don't want to spend tons of $$$.

Nevermind, I think I found what I'm looking for:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Box?sku=150934

Comment

The Behringer sounds good, especially considering the pricetag. Also check out the H&K Redbox Pro and the Voodoo Labs Cabtone. You´re probably gonna like one of them, at least. From the vintage side of things both Marshall and ADA made similar products in the past, probably Rockman/Scholz as well. But if you can squeeze it into your budget, any Palmer will IMHO kill just about everything else. They have some cheaper models that actually aren´t all that expensive at all.

Comment

I would love to find something can take the speaker out from my head and feed into into a board, soundcard, etc... without having to hook up a cabinet. That would be sweet to get that raging tube amp tone at TV volume (monitoring through the computer speakers). The Behringer shows a setup similar to this in the manual, but you need to hook up a cabinet to an additional output that is provided on the unit. I'm pretty sure the Palmer boxes would do what I'm looking for, but they probably cost big $$$.

Modelers are cool and all, but I just prefer the tone of the real thing.

Comment

You don´t want to hook up a cab? Well, some of the Palmers have loads... and I believe the Koch Loadbox will do the trick as well. I tried that one out a couple of years back, and it was both a good power attenuator/load and a good speaker sim.

Comment

I suppose hooking up a cab would be okay, as long as I could attenuate the volume WAY down.

That Behringer would do the trick for my original idea, but then I got to thinking...

Comment

Well, then you´re down to two options... either buy a unit that both attenuates and sims a cab, which to the best of my knowledge will point you to Palmer or Koch. The other way is to buy a speaker sim, like the Behringer, AND an attenuator like the Powerbrake or the THD Hotplate. Just make sure to put the speaker sim before the hotplate.

Comment

The Hughes and Kettner red boxes actually sound pretty good. I had (and still have) an ADA rack single space cab simulator, but it's always a tiny bit noisy. The H&Ks I've used are dead quiet, and most of the newer ones can be phantom powered.

Comment

Here's a clip of the Behringer Ultra-G used as the cab sim for my Voodoo Lab preamp. I do not recommend the Voodoo Lab cab sim:

http://romero.justpassingthru.net/mp3files/VLP.mp3
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
                  X