Stuff to go with my MP-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff to go with my MP-1

Ok, so most of you have probably noticed I'm buying an ADA MP-1 off a fellow JCFer. I'm also buying an ADA Microtube 200 poweramp from him.
    I'm planning to run this through two 2x12 cabs to get that "proper" stereo thing going. If things work out I should have everything up and running in a few weeks
    I've never really had a proper rack-mount system before so I'm really excited about this, seems I'll have lots of fun tweaking out cool sounds

Now, I'm also looking for some effects to go with this. I recently asked about a delay pedal, but I'm wondering if I should go with something I can put in my rack? A multi-FX unit sounds cool, at least then I won't have to worry about pedalcable-mess.
    Any recommendations? I saw a Marshall JFX-1 selling pretty cheap today, should I go for it? I'm not the richest guy around so I tend to buy my gear second hand.
    Other than that I see most people with rackpreamps (ADA-users anyway) have some sort of BBE gear also. What's the story on those, how do they affect the sound?

Any help/tips/advise would be greatly appreciated as always
    Thanks
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

A Rocktron Intellifex or Expression would be a great start. The G-Major is another option - it has more features but doesn't sound quite as good as the Rocktrons - always trade offs.

The Boss VF-1 is a stellar unit - I have one of those. It sounds as good as the Rocktron (maybe even a bit better) and does a ton more than the G-Major.

I've heard good things about the JFX-1 but have never tried one myself.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Never tried the JFX-1 myself either, all I've heard is that Dave Murray uses one, among others I guess

Comment

I use an Alesis Quadraverb with my MP1 and love the sound of the 2 together. The Alesis isn't the easiest thing to get to grips with to start with, but it's cool once you've got your head round it!!
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Sweet.. I'm not used to much tweaking so I might as well get used to it hehe

Comment

Yamaha SPX90 - still used in studios around the world.

Never could figure out the Alesis Quadraverb, but I can run a Digitech TSR12 (which is insanely loaded).
            Those are murder to program.

I'd say start with something that gives you little to no tweaking options till you find which ones you'll actually use, and if it's less than 5 FX, get those as pedals or one of those all-in-one FX pedals.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And given News advice, the JFX-1 is a pretty basic job. If I remember correctly it´s got chorus, delay, reverb, some sort of flanging/phasing... maybe something more... and that´s about it.

The BBE stuff is hit or miss with most people. It´s definitely not everyones cup of tea, and absolutely not a must-have. I don´t like them, but some people do.

Comment

I had a JFX-1. There's better stuff out there for better prices. They're usually very overpriced for what you get. Look at Lexicon or TC stuff first. The JFX-1 works, but it's kind of a "has-been" sort of thing.

Comment

A BBE unit is essential to get the best sounds from an MP1. As for effects, many will work fine but a used Intellifex will probably give you the most bang for the buck.
                  If you really want your tone to shine, lose the Microtube power amp...they are garbage. They aren't even a tube power amp...a preamp tube is used to "warm" up the sound. Get a real tube power amp like VHT, Mesa, Marshall, etc and it will have a huge impact on your sound.
                  You can see the thread "Bullseye Gig Pics" under the USA Charvel section to see my MP1 based rig.

Comment

Thanks for the advise Rupe, I'll probably get another poweramp once I get the money for it, but I can't afford something really great stuff right now, I'll have to do some saving first
                    About the BBE, which would you recommend? I believe you are usually using a 422 judging from your "Bullseye Gig Pics" thread? Awesome rig by the way

Comment

I am using a new one (488?...the red one) in the rig right now but I have a 422A that I prefer and recommend. I sent mine to the factory for repair and they returned it to me with all the same issues, claiming to have fixed it. The new ones work well but are a bit different to dial in...and they don't sound quite as warm to me either. Either model will greatly enhance the MP1 and they are pretty cheap to score (check eBay) these days.
                      Best of luck putting your rig together. PM me if you want any help with routing, presets, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X