Power amp sections with different pre's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power amp sections with different pre's

Given that a guitar or bass amp has an fx return, would if matter if you plugged a guitar pre into a GK bass power section or a bass pre into a Marshall power section? The power amp section is just a power amp, right? Also, it is a given that the cabinets will match accordingly - bass cab for bass pre and guitar cab for a guitar pre.

I think you're going to get best results plugging a preamp into a power amp that is meant for that type of preamp.

Pete

Comment

You can do it.. and, some guys are using the preamps in the effects loops like a pedal. If you want to try to test a preamp or use it and you don't have a dedicated power amp.. you can use the power amp section of another amp to amp it up... the cleaner the amp the better.
      Last edited by charvelguy; 10-09-2006, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Again, keep in mind what you're using. I haven't had real good luck using 'hi fi' power amps with guitar preamps, since the frequency response of the power amp was a lot higher - it just didn't sound right. You won't hurt anything trying it, but you might not get very good results.

Pete

Comment

Thanx Pete - I got a GK RB400-III which has a fx return before the master. I just wondered if I could plug a Pod XT into the return and then have the speaker connect to a 4x12 since I was just using the PS section. Also, since this is a SS amp, it should be pretty "safe"?

Thanx,
          Pete

Comment

You're not going to hurt anything - just may not get the tone you like. Heck, maybe you WILL get a tone you like! Just try it. The only thing I'd worry about in swapping stuff around would be using a bass guitar through a guitar cab. Really bad idea.

Pete

Comment

I think alot of common guitar poweramps won´t have the power to really drive a bass rig full tilt... but that´s not really the question here. You should be fine running a POD thru the poweramp of the GK. And given the "hi-fi" nature and clean power of many solid state bass amps, you might get good results with the cab sim on.

Comment

Working...
              X