Combo vs. Head/Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo vs. Head/Cab

I haven't owned a combo amp in long time (Peavey Renown POS). I've been thinking about getting one mainly for convenience. But, I've been told that combo amps don't sound nearly as good as a head/cab. If I get one, it's probably going to be a Mesa or Bogner so chances are it won't sound too bad but.......

Opinions...GO!
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Why not a midi-rig?
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Not really a better or worse thing really because I have heard some guys play through combos that simply killed guys playing full stacks on the same night.

Too many variables like room size, mic'd cabs, etc. to go through there so why not look put on your list that any combo you buy will be able to run an ext. cab with it.

Now... From your short list I guess you are going tube then right?

The 5150/6505 is a great sounding combo but you seem a bit sketchy on the Peavey stuff so...

I played a Rivera Fandango a few months ago and it really rocked. Great cleans and a very nice crunch and lead channel. It had a boost and reverb too.

The Vht pitbull combo is also nice but hard to find.

From Boogie F50 is the one I like. Not really into the rectalfriers anymore but if you are then that is cool. They are built really well.

Haven't tried a Bogner combo so cant comment on it but as you said I would think it would sound killer.

I have a Line 6 Flextone IIIXL and I have been playing that more than my SLO for the last few months. I am actually thinking of selling the SLO now but I always plug into it just before I think I want to list it and I say, "oh yeah, that is why I keep this around!"

If you are looking for a one channel small combo the Soldano Astroverb is pretty awesome. Sounds like VH 1 if you dime the gain. Has a nice tube reverb too.

I think you are just going to have to get out of the house and play a few.

Comment

I personally tried the switch to a combo, and didn't like it. I felt drowned out, onstage, I felt my tone wasn't as full, and I actually had a harder time loading in and out, than with a 1/2 stack: The combo weighed more than my heads (making lifting a bitch), PLUS since it was lower to the ground, even though it had a road case with wheels, it was harder for me to push along, as opposed to just pushing the 1/2 stack along, standing up, straight. Funny, it actually takes me LESS time to load in and out my 1/2 stack than my combo, so I jumped ship, back over.
        That, however, is just MY personal experience, and may be very different from others.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Alot of times I prefer combos. In my opinion they sound bigger and tighter mic'd up in the studio. Combos are great live as long as they have the watts, but it does feel good to have a screaming 4x12 behind you. They both have their pros and cons. As far was what I would recomend the randall 2x12 have always been loud enough and IMO they sound great.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post

From Boogie F50 is the one I like.

I think you are just going to have to get out of the house and play a few.
            I second this!
            I have a Mesa Boogie F50 combo and it I LOVE it! It definitely performs.

Comment

Working...
            X