Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open back,closed back,monkey on my back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open back,closed back,monkey on my back.

I am gonna build a cabinet(yeah finally).But I'm a little busy nowadays.So I don't wanna spend much time on it and I'll build an open back cabinet.(cause open back's easier to build)

I heard that closed back cabinets have better response etc...

What I wonder is,are open back cabinets really worse than closed back ones?Or they're ok?
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

i have always heard that closed back cabs have a better response and a tighter bass sound, but i HATE them!!!! to me they always sound bright and shrill.

i like open back or half back cabs. they fill the room better and are less directional. whether or not they actually have less bass or a looser response is debatable as far as i am concerned. some would say yes, i would say no....

one thing for sure, my tone is VERY full and has NO trouble filling the rook adequately.

for reference, i use (2) rivera c112 open back cabs, a rivera c-210 open back cab, a mesa recto 2x12 with the back cut in half, and a marshall 8412 with the back cut in half. they all sound GREAT to me.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks Mark( I get that your name is Mark,if it's not,I'm sorry )

So,

Let's build some cabinets

Comment

sure thing!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I prefer closed back 4x12 cabs myself. I do like smaller cabs (1x12 & 2x12's) and combo's to open back. To me smaller cab can sound prety full and rich with an open back.

I have an oversized Mesa 3/4 back 1x12 that sounds huge coupled with a DC-5 combo that also is open back.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

+1 for the 3/4 back Mesa cabs. They are great! Very full sounding and punchy.

Comment

I like them all, closed or open. I'm really digging my ported, closed back 2x12/1x15 Randall cab at the moment!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Open back.... great cleans and very open sounding
                closed back.... great for metal, more focused and tighter.

The design depends on what tone you are looking for. It doesn't sound like putting a back on it will take more time.

Comment

Keep in mind that the woods, baffle, Angle of baffle, porting, and overall dimensions will play a big part in the overall tone too. I would honestly go play a few cabs you like the tones of and model yours after that.

Why not buld it so you can take the bak off easily and then you will get the best of both worlds.
                  Last edited by Firebird V; 10-05-2006, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Actually I'm gonne build one open back cabinet with plywood.And If I don't like it,I'll just take the speakers off and build a closed back one

Parental Advisory:May not sound practical

Anyways,it will be an experience for me.

And I DO want a tight sound.

Comment

Don't let your pyro guy set any of his devices near your backline if you use open back cabinets, especially anything that goes <bang> like maroons or theatrical flashes, even if they are in a bombtank. Trust me, you will end up with drivers that have nicely over-travelled coils, the pressure wave just sucks the guts out of them.

Not sure if this applies to anyone here, but you never know!
                      "Hey, I've got a great idea for the next show - let's set some pyro off!!"
                      "Whoops"
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I had one half closed back Mesa w/ My Mrk III long ago next to my Marshal cabs..and I really didn't care for it..

Actually I prefer straight cabs over slant cabs in a stack because they seem more focused and projectional ..IMO..

Now if you just have a half stack..I prefer a slant cab because the baffle points exactyly where you need it..in your face.

So for me slant cab disperse sound in a wider area than straight ones do..but not as much as open or half back cabs..but then you compromoise the tight low end...IMO

It's all what you like..I like closed back cabs because the low end is much more defined..if you are looking for more of a fuller mid tone that fills more space..then I would suggest a open or half closed back..but they just don't have that "Chugging" low end I really dig..

that's my spin of this..does it sound gay??
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                        X