Amp gurus, I need help ASAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp gurus, I need help ASAP!

I found a Soldano HR50+ at a local store for a decent price. At low volumes, the tone is awesome... The problem is that when the master volume is turned up, it makes a high pitched squeal and a very pronounced humming sound. I think (more like hope) it is just a tube issue. What do you think the problem might be? If it is nothing more than tubes, it would be worth it, but I don't want to get stuck with a piece of crap.

Sounds like a possible grounding problem, could be the amp or could be your outlets.. I'd take it back for a free repair or refund.

It might just as easily be tubes, but I wouldnt bet on it. Considering that you pruchased the amp very recently, make it the shops problem, not yours.

Later,

Steve
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

I haven't bought the amp yet, but I was considering it. I only checked the amp out briefly at the music store.

I'm dying to get a Soldano of some sort. I love the tone!

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
        I haven't bought the amp yet, but I was considering it. I only checked the amp out briefly at the music store.

I'm dying to get a Soldano of some sort. I love the tone!
        Skip it then, and look for another one.

If you're dead set on that exact amp; then I would recommend that you bring the problem to their attention, have them put in writing that they agree to repair the problem at no additional cost to you, and agree on a price. Then put some money down on it and ask when it will be fixed. Get everything in writing and ask to have a copy of the repair bill when you pick up your new amp.

Were it me, I would consider any shop that would put a broken amp up for sale to be shady, at best. And I'd move on to another amp. But thats me.

later,

Steve
        Guitars:
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

This particular amp is there on consignment and the store called the owner to see if he would retube the amp because I was interested... The seller was being a cock, so I guess he's out of luck.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Does the guitar store have a used shop, or repair department, where they might have some spare tubes, to temporarily swap in? It would be in their interest, as they WOULD be making a commision, in the event that they got it sold. Otherwise, screw the dickhead owner, and pass on it. I'm sure you won't be the only one.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Sounds like the guy knows there's a more serious problem with the amp and is just trying to unload it. I highly doubt tubes are going to fix whatever problem there is with the amp.
              Guitars:
              Amp:
              VOX AD30VT

Comment

sounds to me like it could just be a bad preamp tube. Try swapping them around. How much is the amp? It might be worth it. They are really nice high gain amps!

Comment

Some great advice here, especially from UFORocks! (BTW Congrats on becoming a full Member huh huh huh).
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    Some great advice here, especially from UFORocks! (BTW Congrats on becoming a full Member huh huh huh).
                    Guitars:
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Maybe something coming from the power source, which is know to cause hum. Or it could be something in your amp.
                      Gear--- 2005 ESP LTD Dave Mustaine Axxion
                      Roland Micro Cube

Comment

You're right about that JG, that thing sounds awesome before you turn the volume up and it starts making all that racket. I don't think you could get a bad tone with one that is working properly. I played a SLO briefly a few months back (it had the depth mod), and it sounds very similiar. Of course the SLO was way more detailed... Absolutely amazing. The SLO has the tone that I have in my head as being the perfect overdriven tone, which is why I was hoping the HR would work out. I doubt I'll ever be able to justify a $3300 amp.

They want $850 for it, which is a bit on the high side I think. The amp is in decent shape, with a few scratches on the face plate and what not. I've done a little research since I saw it Saturday and $800 seems to be the going rate for a mint one.

Comment

Prices have gone down then. When I bought and sold my HR50+XL, the going rate was around a grand. Great amps, but I'm super digging my SLO clone.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                          X