Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar-to-MIDI interfaces (Roland GR-30, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar-to-MIDI interfaces (Roland GR-30, etc)

Anyone have any experience with guitar-to-MIDI interfaces like the Roland GR-30 or those units that don't have an actual sound module in them?

I thought about using one for a drum trigger (as opposed to the usual piano/violin/horn section MIDI triggers). I mean, can you imagine the "spider riff" of Master Of Puppets as a drum pattern?

Anyway, I was looking at the GR-30, but don't need something with the actual synth in it - just the pickup and an interface that I can hook into MIDI gear with.

Anyone?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

If you don't want sounds built in.. I'd think you'd want the controller with a pickup. Roland G-10 with a Gk2h sounds like what you are looking for... I'd get a second opinion on that tho as I don't own either.

Comment

I've had just about every guitar-to-MIDI device out there. The best unit is the latest unit from Axon. The previous Axon units worked well but had enough quirks to where I preferred the GI-10. The Axon is a few hundred bucks more than the GI-10. I currently have a GI-10 and it works very well. I am going to upgrade to the latest Axon shortly (as in, I am ordering it tomorrow).

As for pickups - I've used GK-1 and GK-2 stuff. For anything current you will need a GK-2 compatible pickup. The latest GK-3 looks like a nicer unit but I've not gotten one yet (it's on the list too).
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

oh, in my post - substitute GI-20 for GI-10 (although I did have a GI-10 at one point as well...)

- Newc

Comment

Thanks
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

So ummmm, what's the new one form Axon, the AX-100?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              So ummmm, what's the new one form Axon, the AX-100?
              ax-100 mk II

- Newc

Comment

the most expensive

Comment

According to Ebay, it's all relative

But yeah, the Blue Chip looks affordable, but if it's crap I'll just keep ogling the GR30s

Comment

According to Ebay, it's all relative

But yeah, the Blue Chip looks affordable, but if it's crap I'll just keep ogling the GR30s
                    I wouldn't get the Blue Chip stuff. You'll most likely be sorry. They are a PITA to work with and they don't work properly with some GK type pickups. I know several guys that had lots of problems with theirs breaking down and the service turnaround times were terrible. I'm not sure you'd even get them serviced now.

Do you have a synth already? If so, get a GI-10 or better yet the more recent GI-20. If not, the GR's are all pretty good.

- Newc

Comment

I've got a QSR and QS6. Mostly what I was thinking would be to use it as a drum trigger, but "normal" synth stuff would work it's way in there.

Comment

I've got a QSR and QS6. Mostly what I was thinking would be to use it as a drum trigger, but "normal" synth stuff would work it's way in there.
                        Those Alesis QS synths are kickass. I used a GI-10 with a QS7 for a good long time. These days I'm using the GI-20 into a Roland XV-5050. I am going to get the Axon Mk II so watch for a GI-20 up for sale soon

- Newc

Comment

Keep me in mind if you do part with the 20

Comment

So if I were to buy the AXON and a GK-2 I would be midi ready and could get Petrucci like synth sounds by putting the AXON in my FX loop?

Comment

Originally posted by hawkerbc2 View Post
                              So if I were to buy the AXON and a GK-2 I would be midi ready and could get Petrucci like synth sounds by putting the AXON in my FX loop?
                              I wouldn't run the AXON in your FX loop. Synths need full range amp/speakers.

btw, when did Petrucci sound like a synth?

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X