No announcement yet.

Soldano Avenger modern tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete you wouldn't believe what those TS tubes did for the Uber..remember my gripe long ago about the midrange honk and was entertaing the possibilty converting the EL34's to KT88s, 6L6 or even 6550s..no need for that at all now!!

Pete, did you ever dime the gain on the Uber???..most people will say "No way", "Your nuts" and so on..but you can ask C-John..he's used to playing with less gain than I do..and he even likes the tone best there..I had to show that to him just to get his confirmation..

To me ,that is the ONLY way to get the full potential from the Uberschall..I'm 100% convinced if your not diming the gain..your not using that amp to it's full potential.

Nobody I know or read about uses it that way...and I can't see why, for the life of me..it is the perfect amount of gain at full tilt...for "modern" metal..

So if anyone here ever has the chance to try a Uber..remeber I said the first thing to do is cranked the Gain ALL the way up..it's not like a recto or 5150..you can't do that with those amps..

BTW..I doesn't matter what kind of guitar I'm using..

Just wanted to share that since I've owned this thing over four years now..

I go for a VERY extremlely tight brutal kind of tone..and it delivers that in spades..very brutal!!

I can't praise it enough..

I would love to try the Avenger..But I've played VHTs, and heard the XTC, a local friend uses one..very great tones, The XTC sounds like AC/DC "Flick of the switch" tone on steroids ..but nothing like the "brutality" and crunch of the Uber..
    Last edited by horns666; 10-03-2006, 03:56 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill - yeah, I dime the gain on every amp I play just to see how much there is when maxed. The Uber I played had been tweaked tube-wise I believe - the guy who owned it was big on experimenting with preamp tubes. I can't tell you what he ended up with, but he rarely used stock tubes.

None of the amps sounded bad at all. I like the VHTs, especially for the price - a 50/CL can be found for around a grand if you look around carefully. The Uber is a cool amp for sure, and some people may prefer it. The Avenger just sounded snarly and mean as hell, with low end chunk for days.

One of these days you need to check out an avenger and a JSX - I'm real curious what you think of them.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
        Bill - yeah, I dime the gain on every amp I play just to see how much there is when maxed. The Uber I played had been tweaked tube-wise I believe - the guy who owned it was big on experimenting with preamp tubes. I can't tell you what he ended up with, but he rarely used stock tubes.

None of the amps sounded bad at all. I like the VHTs, especially for the price - a 50/CL can be found for around a grand if you look around carefully. The Uber is a cool amp for sure, and some people may prefer it. The Avenger just sounded snarly and mean as hell, with low end chunk for days.

One of these days you need to check out an avenger and a JSX - I'm real curious what you think of them.

Pete

Oh I will Pete..hell yeah..don't get out to the stores much..but I have to take a trip to GC, so I will be on the prowl for either..and I will test drive 'em, if I see either of them..I trust your judgement on tone..

One thing I must mention the Uber is a bit bottom heavy with the stock JJ's, as you know..but the Tung Sols really made a major difference in the low end..very dark sounding..maybe too dark for some..but I really love 'em!!

I'm glad they worked out..I had my doubts..I thought the guy was just "selling" me some expensive tubes nobody buys often..I must say, he really was confident that I would like them. He offered that I could send them back if I didn't..so that was cool..his name was Dan..a pretty dry but extremely helpful guy. I actually called him back and thanked him..

I owned two Soldano amps ..the Korean made 60 and the HR100 and I always used to go to the store and play the SLOs in stock all the time..sounds just like "Blackout", but really didn't have the coin at that time to buy one..that Korean 60 sounded like "Unchained"..I have mucho respect for both Soldano and VHT..I know I'd prolly love the Avenger w/ the 6L6s..

That JSX looks sweet..and I always loved Joe's live tone and he's a killer dude and player!!
        Peavey definitely has their shit together, I think..I can't praise the 5150 enough for the money..especially back a few years ago when you could buy a mint used head all day long for less than 400 bucks..I owned 5 of them in all thru the years..so you know I certainly liked them!

Of all the experimenting and twiddlin' I did with the 5150 since '91..with external Eqs , different cabs, and tubes and ect..I discovered my best tone with a stock 5150 half stack with a BBE 422 in the loop and that's it..and a good delay in the loop as well..I used Lexicons and a Chandler stereo Echo..which is primitive in design, but it had a very nice sound to it..besides I believe both Satch and Eric Johnson used them..

You can't go wrong with Bogner, VHT or Soldano..they just kill!!!

But bang for the buck Peavey does rule IMO!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The Überschall is one cool amp. Sadly i only could test one in a store and of course nowhere near cranked. But it was impressive how clear it stayed even with huge amounts of gain (something i am missing with my recto).
          It may sound contradictory but i am glad that it was ridiculously expensive (~$4.5K) so i wasn't really interested anymore

Flo
          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death View Post
            The Überschall is one cool amp. Sadly i only could test one in a store and of course nowhere near cranked. But it was impressive how clear it stayed even with huge amounts of gain (something i am missing with my recto).
            It may sound contradictory but i am glad that it was ridiculously expensive (~$4.5K) so i wasn't really interested anymore

Flo
            Flo no shit, they go for that much over there..wow!!

I can understand why you wern't interested..I don't think I would be either..

Comment

Yeah it's the same with Diezel over at your side of the ocean. Diezels here are in the ballpark of Mesas.
              Sad thing is that Bogner originally is from near the town i live. I was told that he had his first shop down the road of my favourite music store but that was before i played guitar. Damn why did he have to emigrate ?

I only played the Über for around 10 minutes (and then i told myself to go because anymore and i would have fallen for this amp ) but i really could tell that this amp is definitely one class above the rectifier in terms of sound quality. I still love my rectifier though. It's just like cars: When you have a nice bmw you know that a ferrari is better and you aren't surprised when you testdrive one but you still love your bmw because both are just not in the same league.

If the Bogner is worth $4.5k is another question

Flo
              http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

"If the Bogner is worth $4.5k is another question"

That question alone is worth $4.5k...

Comment

bill, you definitely need to check out the framus cobra. i'm not saying it's the be all end all amp, but i've been through quite some gear over the last years and so far the framus is the best amp i've ever played - for my taste and style, that is.
                  be sure to use the notch switch engaged on the crunch channel with the mids high up. the regular setting sounds boxy to my ears, like a car horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle View Post
                    bill, you definitely need to check out the framus cobra. i'm not saying it's the be all end all amp, but i've been through quite some gear over the last years and so far the framus is the best amp i've ever played - for my taste and style, that is.
                    be sure to use the notch switch engaged on the crunch channel with the mids high up. the regular setting sounds boxy to my ears, like a car horn.
                    I'd love to dude..but nobody has that shit over here..just gay amps..with rainbows on them..

Comment

Working...
                    X