Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Questions

OK guys,

I love the Gibson 500T, in a all mahogany body they sound just right, with that being said i have a guitar that cant take gibson pickups, they have longer brackets and this guitar does not take them. So with that being said, which pickup will get me the closest. The guitar has a Floyd so I know I will need a F-Space or TB.

I have the following pickups laying around.

Dimarzio Pickups.
    DP 151 PAF Pro (F Spaced)
    DP 193 Air Norton (Cream)
    DP 155 Tone Zone
    DP 100 Super Distortion (F Spaced)

Seymour Dunkan
    SH-14 custom 5™
    SH-2N jazz model™ (chrome cover)
    SH-4 jb model™ (chrome cover)
    SH-11 custom custom™ (black/cream)

I have also thought about the following pickups.
    SH-5 duncan custom™
    SH-6 duncan distortion™

Please give me some good advice.

Is this another Mahognay guitar? If so, I'd prefer either the Seymour Duncan Custom or the DiMarzio Super Distortion. The Tone Zone and the Custom Custom might be too dark.

Comment

If you're really geared on the 500T, if you get a nice router, you can very lightly route the wood of the pickup cavity to accomodate the larger size of the 500T. By the way, you have all those pickups lying around? Wow man, nice selection!

Cheers,
      Nick

Comment

bring the guitar to my house, i've got a drill press - we'll make room for that gibson pickup no problem.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

There ya go.

I would say if you are not going to trek over to Tim's then A Dimarzio Super Distortion is a great choice.

Comment

don't laugh - i did that to a prs with a ten top it worked out great.

- Newc

Comment

I'd go for the Super Distortion as well. I have a 500T in my Classic Premium Plus, and it's the best axe I have at getting old school Maiden tones. Dave and Adrian used SuperD's, so therefore I equate SuperD = 500T, or at least they are close.

I have a Duncan Distortion in my 750XL, but it's not as "loose" or it's "more tight and punchy" than the 500T. To me, the 500T still has a vintagey flavor to it, where the DD has a more modern tone.
              Last edited by DonP; 10-05-2006, 10:45 PM.

Comment

The Gibson 500T reads at 14.2K ohms, the other one you mentioned is
                the Seymour Duncan Custom at 14.1K ohms. probably the closest to the
                sound of the 500T ??????????

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-HUMBUCKER...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.seymourduncan.com/compare...tone.asp?ID=12

Comment

If you are reading 14.2K you either have a really underwound 500T or a 498, more then likley it is a 498. The 500T's all read around 15.5K, i have four of them and they all read roughly around that.

I also have a pickup i purchased off ebay, it has a gold cover and the person said it was a 500T, but come to think of it i dont think i have ever seen a 500T with a cover, I am thinking it is more of a 498 that came out of a studio or standard, and yes this pickup reads 14.2K.

Originally posted by SGplayer View Post
                  The Gibson 500T reads at 14.2K ohms, the other one you mentioned is
                  the Seymour Duncan Custom at 14.1K ohms. probably the closest to the
                  sound of the 500T ??????????

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-HUMBUCKER...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.seymourduncan.com/compare...tone.asp?ID=12

Comment

Custom 5?

Originally posted by jabezcruz View Post
                    Is this another Mahognay guitar? If so, I'd prefer either the Seymour Duncan Custom or the DiMarzio Super Distortion. The Tone Zone and the Custom Custom might be too dark.

Comment

Problem is, it is a les paul custom lite, if i route i am going to be making a hole between the trem cavity and pickup cavity, now i know why they put different pickups in the one with a floyd. Kinda weird, but i never noticed how gibson pickups have longer mounting tabs then all other pickups!

I thought of using thicker pickup rings, but as it is the pickups are almost bottemed out and just slightly below the strings, so that wouldnt work.

Yeah i have all these pickups, but some of them will start ending up in the classified section soon. I also have a EMG85 but someone already put dibs on that a long time ago.

Originally posted by Misanthrope189 View Post
                      If you're really geared on the 500T, if you get a nice router, you can very lightly route the wood of the pickup cavity to accomodate the larger size of the 500T. By the way, you have all those pickups lying around? Wow man, nice selection!

Cheers,
                      Nick
                      I guess I will try putting in the Super D. Put i think i had it in my EPI once and didnt care for it, but then again that had a maple top, where my Les Paul custom lite is all mahagony.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      I'd go for the Super Distortion as well. I have a 500T in my Classic Premium Plus, and it's the best axe I have at getting old school Maiden tones. Dave and Adrian used SuperD's, so therefore I equate SuperD = 500T, or at least they are close.

I have a Duncan Distortion in my 750XL, but it's not as "loose" or it's "more tight and punchy" than the 500T. To me, the 500T still has a vintagey flavor to it, where the DD has a more modern tone.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                        I also have a EMG85 but someone already put dibs on that a long time ago.
                        Yeah, that was me. I'm ready to accept it whenever you're ready to offload it.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                          Custom 5?
                          The Custom 5 is okay if you like scooped mids. I took that out of my Star and went with a Tone Zone and am much happier (though, the body is alder).
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Change the base plates with ones with shorter legs.Or cut the tabs and re bend and re drill.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

siggy, this guitar is a lost cause. i'll take it

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X