EMG wiring problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring problem

Just got my MII back from GMW guitars. I had some problems with the wiring so I took it to my LMS for help. I get a call saying the bridge pickup is dead. I go to pick it up and while I'm there, the neck pickup dies as well. So I buy new pickups and I am preparing to get them sent off to be repainted as well. I email Lee and he tells me to chekc the pickups myself to be sure they're dead. So I run them through the electronics of my bass (which is also active) and lo and behold they work.

So after more testing I have it down to either the volume pot or the jack. I look at the jack and notice it has a sticker with a T on it. Does that mean this is a tone pot? Will that work in the place of a volume pot? Should I replace it with the original volume pot (which I still have)?

EMG use the same 25K pots for tone and volume. I would recheck all of your solder joints. You can do it one at a time or desolder everything and start from scratch. Check out the schematics on EMG's website for help.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Well I had enough and got a second opinion. I tested the pickups in my bass and they worked. So I went back to my LMS and told the guy the pickups did work and something else needed to be checked. The guy (get this!) tells me no the pickups are dead without even looking at it.

So I grab the guitar and go down the road to another LMS for a second opinion. The guy takes the guitar walks to the repair room with me and proceeds to test the pickups. Lo and behold they do work. Apparently the two wires off the pickup were grounding out and causing it to short out and give no signal. So he gets me up and running right then and there, maybe 15-20 minutes total.

I am so happy now. Between the Vetta and my MII I've had quite the bad luck with stuff not working. Hopefully that's over now.

Comment

Working...
      X