Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 2:90 Modern switch

Hey, question for all of you...
    From my reading it seems like the Modern switch on the 2:90 was designed to act like the Modern channel on the Recto, and function as some other switch did for the Mark IV. It seems like the triaxis was designed in some ways to give vintage type tones, in the case of the Lead 1 recto mode, and then the 2:90 was given the Modern feature to accentuate that next step into Modern style gain. If the Lead 2 Mark IIC+ and Mark III modes are supposedly pulled right from those amps, then the tone I get out of the triaxis, with a Mesa 50/50, should have no need for the Modern switch of the 2:90, am I correct?

Cheers,
    Nick

Correct.

The newer 50's were a bit darker/low-endish to give them a more modern feel though. Older 50's with or without the deep mod will get you right into Mark territory.

Got a Quad pre and a 50/50 myself! Mark all the way!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Cool, thanks...now the only problem is, I just bought all new tubes, why can't I get a good clean tone? I feel like something's amiss...could the Gibson '57 classic be too powerful?

Cheers,
      Nick

Comment

I have no idea. Are you allowing for enough clean headroom?

I can't imagine a Gibson Classic being powerful to the point of distorting your cleans.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Enough clean headroom? even if the gain is 0, and the master volume is 0, with all the eq settings very low, it still distorts. The only way I can get a clean sound out of it is if I turn both the preamp and poweramp volumes way down. Hmm...I have the triaxis output within the recommended range...maybe if I turn that down, but leave the power amp volume up, I'll see if I can fix it.

Cheers,
          Nick

Comment

Working...
          X