No announcement yet.

Vetta emergency!! What in the world???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta emergency!! What in the world???

So I hook my Vetta up with the USB Midi connector (Yamaha UX16).

I install the drivers.

I download Line 6 Monkey

I go to install Vetta 2.5

The software installs.

When it's done it tells me to press SAVE to save.

Nothing happens.

I turn it off and back on.

Both my screens go black.

I run Line 6 Edit.

It says it cannot connect to the combo.

I disconnect the MIDI cables and try to turn the amp back on.

Same black screens.

What is going on here???

I'd post over at the Line 6 forum and/or the Institute of Noise.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Power up holding the Comp button in. What happens?
      Also, try powering up with the reverb button in. What happens?

Before you tried the upgrade, did you try Line 6 Edit or saving any patches to your PC with your Vetta plugged into your computer?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
        Power up holding the Comp button in. What happens?
        Also, try powering up with the reverb button in. What happens?

Before you tried the upgrade, did you try Line 6 Edit or saving any patches to your PC with your Vetta plugged into your computer?
        Everything else works fine until I have press SAVE to return the amp to normal.

But I'm in the middle of something that may help. It appears that for some ungodly reason, the MIDI out needs to plug in the amp's MIDI in, and the MIDI in needs to plug into the amp's MIDI out. So I switched them and now the amp's readout says "Software Download in Progress", which it didn't say before.

Why would it need to hook up that way? That's confusing.

And dumb. Stupid heads!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
          Everything else works fine until I have press SAVE to return the amp to normal.

But I'm in the middle of something that may help. It appears that for some ungodly reason, the MIDI out needs to plug in the amp's MIDI in, and the MIDI in needs to plug into the amp's MIDI out. So I switched them and now the amp's readout says "Software Download in Progress", which it didn't say before.

Why would it need to hook up that way? That's confusing.

And dumb. Stupid heads!!!
          Midi ports are just like effects loop ports. Send goes to return on the loop, In goes to out with midi.
          The interface goes like this

Vetta midi out------interface midi in
          Vetta midi in-------interface midi out

That explains your problem.
          As a rule of thumb... you should always check and make sure your device (Vetta) is working properly and is hooked up correctly before you do a major flash upgrade. The way to check is to try Line 6 edit and try saving, loading and storing patches to and from your computer

Comment

Yep that was the problem. After switching the MIDI cables, the download worked like a charm.

Sorry for the panic. But thanks for the quick help/

I just need to remember to switch the MIDI connections next time I try that.

Comment

ha ha I had about an hour's frustration with something similar this weekend and man was I glad when I got it right and everything worked. LOL
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Finally got down to the bottom of this problem. Apparently, the Yamaha USB MIDI untis are designed to work with the Vetta!! Which means I've spent my entire evening fighting a losing battle. Plus I also now have a blank Vetta that I can't do anything with until I get the proper interface box.

So basically my Vetta's message to me is:

Thank you all and good night. I hope you all enjoyed my near meltdown caused by a $50 MIDI USB box.

Tip your waiters and waitresses!

Try the veal! It's delic!

I'm outta here!
                Last edited by Bryan; 09-20-2006, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Yeah, not complicated at all!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yup, I had the same problem. It says its installing after you erase everything, turn it back on and nothings there. Flipped over the cables and all was well.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

must... resist... posting something... about not having to reboot a tube amp...

Comment

Originally posted by yabba
                        Yeah, but if you stick a coaxial cable or a chicken bone into the input of a tube amp, it's not going to work either.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                          Yeah, not complicated at all!

I'll say it again, I don't want to be an IT major to be able to just even turn my damn amp on!
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
                            Finally got down to the bottom of this problem. Apparently, the Yamaha USB MIDI untis are designed to work with the Vetta!! Which means I've spent my entire evening fighting a losing battle. Plus I also now have a blank Vetta that I can't do anything with until I get the proper interface box.
                            so you're saying the Yamaha unit is NOT designed to work with the Vetta? that's odd.

I got the M-Audio Midisport UNO connector for like $40 from GC. try that one, and let me know if you have any problems (via PM), I just did this and learned how it is supposed to work, so I'd be glad to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by yabba
                              ha ha yeah that's true bro, but considering the almost infinite sets of differing tones I can get from my Vetta, and the 50+ stompboxes in it, and the post-effects, and the 8 wah models, and the customizable wah and volume pedals which can be set for any other function you want, and the way cool feature of being able to customize your patch settings on the PC...

the complexity is worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X