Krank amps again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krank amps again

Just thought I'd chime in I know mantis likes his tone.
    I heard a chadwick model krank Saturday and this amp sounds killer.Cleans sound like a JCM 800 Marshall no kidding.The drive channel sound like a JCM 800 thats had major mods done.Tom Folkksson mod to be exact.Think Shotgun Messiah's second coming CD.
    The tone is great on this amp a very clear clean channel and a buttery drive channel and push it hard and it sounds like a JCM 800 no kidding!
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Well, I hope it sounds better than the Krankenstein I tried. That thing was one of the worst sounding amps I'd heard in a LONG time. I actually was beginning to think it was broke. The store manager actually raved about it, saying it was much better than the Triple Rec I had just played, and didn't like. The Triple Rec, while not MY cup of tea, was MUCH better than the Krank.
    I may have to see if they have THIS amp in, and see if I agree with your assessment.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I never hear a good reveue here from from the credible amps dudes on this forum. Jeff Loomis always sounded good live , even when he used his POD pro, but sounded his best with his Recto..

But I bought the new Arch Enemy DVD and FUCK does the tone sound incredible on that..but you know how all that shit works, mixing, EQing, mic placement ect..anyone who knows what they're doing can make anything sound."decent"..

The new live AE DVD..BEST "Krank" tone I've heard so far.. if it really sounded like that during an actual test drive..I'd buy two on the spot.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well I don't have any preconcieved notions about any Krank amps I'm not a big Dime fan or death metal type or nu metal or any sub jonra.Just old school power metal and the chadwick series Krank has that tone in spades.I heard the amp when I walked in the store and thought wow that sounds a modded JCM800 and walked up stairs and saw that it was a chadwick Krank making that sweet tone.
        I mean it is a raw sounding amp I have had several modded 800s and I know what one sounds like.Just thought I'd pass the info along to anyone who might like the 800 tone.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey, that's cool. That's exactly what I'm looking for, too. I checked out the clips on Kranks site, and I while I would n't exactly call them JCM800-ish, they ARE only sample clips, and we all know how that can be misleading. At least now I am aware of the amp. Thanks.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

I think they have some 'ringers' floating around. Too many people have played stock models and thought they were terrible, imho. I played a Krankenstein and it was an abysmal piece of shit.

Anyone remember the old Car magazines, when they would test muscle cars and then you'd buy one and find that yours was a LOT slower than the test information? Car companies did everything from having the cars mildly tweaked to even different camshafts, hogged out carbs and different exhaust systems.

Plus I've heard of too many shows where what you see onstage all lit up wasn't really what was being played anyway. I just don't understand how a company that puts out a piece of shit like the Krankenstein can have another amp that sounds great.

Pete

Comment

If they would put as much into design and build quality as they do in marketing and endorsements they migth be able to put a good amp

I personally have yet to hear a Krank I like....its also highly proable that the the endorsee's amps are not whats on the showroom floor...those are tweaked to the artists recommendations...that sis the only way in hell that someone would actually use them...again, based off my opinion of what I heard. I find it hard to believe Krank can do a 180 degree turn and put out a viable product....certainly is possible.

I can only speak for myself but I doubt I'll ever get over them doing the false Harmony Central reviews of their own products...tacky
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
                If they would put as much into design and build quality as they do in marketing and endorsements they migth be able to put a good amp

I personally have yet to hear a Krank I like....its also highly proable that the the endorsee's amps are not whats on the showroom floor...those are tweaked to the artists recommendations...that sis the only way in hell that someone would actually use them...again, based off my opinion of what I heard. I find it hard to believe Krank can do a 180 degree turn and put out a viable product....certainly is possible.

I can only speak for myself but I doubt I'll ever get over them doing the false Harmony Central reviews of their own products...tacky
                Shawn and co..They have a new hilarious death metal band cartoon spoof on "adult swim" Sunday nights on the Cartoon Network, ...Metapcalypse..James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet do the voice overs for two members in the band..they always have a wall of Kranks behind them with the blatant Krank logo..too funny!!!

It's a great show!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BTW All Amps have their voice..it can or may be somewaht "similiar" in tone to a Marhsall, I truly doubt it..but by no strectch it's a Marshall..Even the same exact model Marshals aren't consistant..thay all have their trademark sound, but also have their own thumprint.

The only consistant amp I discovered is a 5150..I had the block letter, the scrpt, I played the 65605 they're all the same..I only had one sweet 5150, it was the first one I bought in '90..it was the same as the others.. tubes and all..just stock, but it always seemed smoother / warmer..for reasons unknown..it wasn't my imagination..that was the only one I could pick from the others..it some mysterious Mo Jo...not a big sonic difference just enough to feel..I sold that one to John..he used the shit out of it and it sure took a beating..lierally..

That amp was actaully launched like a missle and tumbled about 50+ feet when he got into a car wreck..and it still worked fine, that's just luck and quality..

John and I can really get a 5150 to bark, without any mods or stomps , we messed them for a long time..

To me if you can't afford a Uber, a 5150 is the next best thing..

The only difference is..you can actaully make a 5150 sound like crap. many people have succeeded!!

..but no matter how you dial the uber it never really sounds "bad"..but your talking abour apples and oranges really...and that's why those go for a good chunk of change..

As far as Krank..if Jeff Loomis can make all his gear sound great, including his triaxis, Pod Pro and Recto..he did sound muddy for the first time with a Krak..his leads were aeticulate but his complex rythms were muddy..which sucked because I love that's dudes rythm stuff..

But Andy Sneap knows how to make a Krank bark..both Arch Enemy and Nevermore sound just peachy when he's recording them..

So just make sure you have Andy Sneap at all times around if you buy a Krank..you can't go wrong then..

Comment

I played 3 Krank models at NAMM. They all were very harsh and buzzy sounding. I had a frown the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy
                      I played 3 Krank models at NAMM. They all were very harsh and buzzy sounding. I had a frown the entire time.
                      Yeah, that seems to be the consensus of anyone that tried them..I have yet to hear one good thing about them.

Comment

I have never even seen one at any guitar shop. I would love to try one.

Comment

I save yourself the effort. All hype, as far as I'm concerned.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

You guys give Krank the worst rep ever - I swear to god. Please actually play one with a good axe and anything but the Krank cabinets, and then pass judgement.

I heard two of them sound amazing through Marshall cabinets on Saturday, and I've played a Rev1 through a Mesa traditional, and it sounded damned good.

The other secret is the "sweep" knob - that thing changes EVERYTHING.

They are awesome metal amps, when paired with a good cabinet. Super tight, clear, cutting, defined, perfect for a two guitar metal setting.

That said, the new Arch Enemy DVD was 100% Reamped with Krank Rev1's by Andy Sneap - minimal processing after being mic'd with a single 57 on a V30.

Also, Nevermore's been pretty shit live on the last couple videos and reviews I've seen/heard - missing notes, parts being leftout, technical problems all over, just sloppy all around. The 2006 videos on Youtube are absolutely horrid.

That, and I personally don't like the tone on TGE at all - it's crappy, but crappy in a proffesional maner. DHIADW sounds WORLDS better - TGE just sounds really buzzy and meh, and also kind of muddy.
                            Last edited by DSS3; 09-19-2006, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Wow the first good opinion a Krank..cool 'nuff

But I disagree on the sound Andy Sneap dialed in on TGE..that's the EXACT tone I'm gunning for..go figure.

The only Buzz I want comes from my Bong..

Comment

Working...
                              X