Good tube power amp for Mp1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tube power amp for Mp1?

Well, I was thinking a carvin t100, but I'm open to opinions, I don't want to spend too much money.

peavey classic 50/50
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

How about the Peavey classic 120?

Comment

The power amp I always used with mine although they are hard to come by these days is the MesaBoogie stereo simul-class 295. Not that little 2 rackspace unit, the gargantuous (I'm sure Ron will fix that if it's spelled wrong) 4 space unit. They weigh a ton, but are well worth the extra cash and lifting. You won't be disappointed.

I searched the web and found a pic so you know what I'm talking about....

Huge ain't she?
        Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Well, a month ago I had my neighbor's gear in my basement while he was selling his house/moving. One of the things he had was a rack setup with an MP1 (he also had an Engl in the rack) going into a Mesa 50/50. It was my first time playing through the legendary MP1 and it sounded great through the Mesa.
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

+1 on the 50/50. I got a '99er 50/50 and it is great. Very transparant.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Ok, this is going to be a stage rig, so you guys think 50 watts per channel is loud enough???

Comment

100 watts in stereo is pretty damn loud but it depends on what kind of venues you're playing though. You're gonna have a PA most of the times anyways, nay?

Comment

hmmmm I guess that makes sense.... How much are the mesa power amps going for lately?

Comment

50 "should" be loud enough, but I've always found them to be a little short on Headroom and Warmth for a stage rig. Just my opinion.
                    Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

That IS a very good point. In terms of headroom the 2:95 or 2:90 would be ideal.

Comment

That was my thought.... which is why I thought the Carvin TS100... but this will be my fist rack setup, so I'm not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3
                          The power amp I always used with mine although they are hard to come by these days is the MesaBoogie stereo simul-class 295. Not that little 2 rackspace unit, the gargantuous (I'm sure Ron will fix that if it's spelled wrong) 4 space unit. They weigh a ton, but are well worth the extra cash and lifting. You won't be disappointed.

I searched the web and found a pic so you know what I'm talking about....

Huge ain't she?
                          I got one!,...They're Killer!!!

Comment

headroom is important. how much do you play clean? that is where you will notice it the most. i use 100 or 120 watt tube heads live ONLY becuase of the clean channels neededing the headroom. i can get away with playing live on a 30 or 50 watt head if it is distortion only.

even with my 120 watt head, the master volume on the gain channel is at 3 or 4 on stage, where the clean channel master volume is at 7 or 8.

with the MP-1 you may need a LOUD poweramp if you intend to use the clean channel. i remember the mp-1 getting VERY compressed as you cranked the volumes on the clean channel.

of course none of that matters if you play gained out all the time.

my band is doing 200-500 person venues on a regular basis and i have not yet needed to go past 4 on the master volume of a 120 watt tube head.

just some food for thought.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hmmmmm, I do about as much clean as distortion stuff, so gigh wattage would be preferable, but how can I do that, sound good, and keep it below maybe $400?

Comment

Working...
                              X