Van Halen MXR Flanger pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Halen MXR Flanger pedal

Has anyone bought that new VH Flanger pedal? I was wondering how you liked it? I haven't seen one yet at my local stores so I can't try it. How does it sound compared to other flangers?

I have a Line6 Spider II 112 and I would like to use it in front of it. I'm not really too happy with either the distortions or flanger (not very adjustable) on it so I use the clean settings (which sound pretty good) and crank either a uber Metal pedal or Metal Zone pedal to get a good sound. I was wondering if the VH flanger would sound good in front of either of my two distortion pedals.

Thanks in advance.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

I havnt bought one. But i did try it out at work. And it sounds great. It has the same bucket brigade circutry the originals did. So it sounds just like the one Eddie uses/d. It's more the classic VH flanger tone then the current issue is. Although it doenst have the power cord hard wired to it like the old ones. The only thing i noticed unless it was the one i tried. was the batter compartment is a bit small and the latch wont close without some slight modifying to the plastic in there. The plastic is more like a protective sheilding than it is anything else. so the battery doesnt short out on the board.
    Other than that its a great pedal.
    Gil

Comment

Ed used the original plain 'ol black MXR flanger on all his classic material..not this one..

Oh, But this one has STRIPES..I see!!!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic
        Has anyone bought that new VH Flanger pedal? I was wondering how you liked it? I haven't seen one yet at my local stores so I can't try it. How does it sound compared to other flangers?

I have a Line6 Spider II 112 and I would like to use it in front of it. I'm not really too happy with either the distortions or flanger (not very adjustable) on it so I use the clean settings (which sound pretty good) and crank either a uber Metal pedal or Metal Zone pedal to get a good sound. I was wondering if the VH flanger would sound good in front of either of my two distortion pedals.

Thanks in advance.
        Effects like flanger, chorus, delay etc. sound a LOT better in stereo IMO, but that shouldn't stop you from trying it with the Spider. Haven't tried out the VH sig. yet. It sure looks good, but he did use the normal MXR back in the days, like HORNS666 said. But I think I remember reading somewhere something about Ed doing something about the wiring that is also done in his sig. flanger pedal. I could be wrong, but at least that's what I believe I read some time ago..
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

I have a vintage one like Ed used back in the day - it's Van Halen in a box. none of the other gear I've heard (including Vetta, Pod XT/XTL, J-station, V-amp, Vox valvetronix, etc) can get that type of flange. It's very unique imho.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
            I have a vintage one like Ed used back in the day - it's Van Halen in a box. none of the other gear I've heard (including Vetta, Pod XT/XTL, J-station, V-amp, Vox valvetronix, etc) can get that type of flange. It's very unique imho.

Pete
            Amen...do I need to post that clip again..for proof..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I know I also read that there is a push button on it that gives you a "preset" for EVH's "Unchained" sound. Sounds pretty cool, just the price is still scaring me!
              Guitars:
              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
              1988 Model 2,
              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
              RR3
              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                Ed used the original plain 'ol black MXR flanger on all his classic material..not this one..

Oh, But this one has STRIPES..I see!!!!
                I have bought this pedal and I have to say it sounds amazing. Keep in mind the original one that Eddie Van Halen used was 18 volts, and so is this pedal, unlike the flanger re-issue from mxr which is only 9 volts. I got the chance to try them side by side, and there is quite a difference. The EVH one sounds so much better, more full, and better sounding flanger.

Comment

Originally posted by donvandam
                  I have bought this pedal and I have to say it sounds amazing. Keep in mind the original one that Eddie Van Halen used was 18 volts, and so is this pedal, unlike the flanger re-issue from mxr which is only 9 volts. I got the chance to try them side by side, and there is quite a difference. The EVH one sounds so much better, more full, and better sounding flanger.
                  I'd wager a 'real' vintage MXR Flanger, that would cost the same or less than the new VH flanger, would sound at least as good, probably better. Never had one of the new flanger reissues, so I can't comment there.

Pete

Comment

Pete..these new guys don't know us do they??!!..

Shall I post the VH tribute clips..to show a little "credibilty"..to establish that WE know WTF we're talkin' 'bout!!

Bill Z Bub

Comment

no Bill, show them how you play with your dick

anyway, I haven't tried the EVH flanger but EVH phase kicked ass period, I compared it to the vintage Phase 90, it's just as good
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                        Pete..these new guys don't know us do they??!!..

Shall I post the VH tribute clips..to show a little "credibilty"..to establish that WE know WTF we're talkin' 'bout!!

Bill Z Bub
                        Post em!

Comment

Post em!
                          YOU GOT IT PETE!!!

here's your fuggin' Van Halen!!!!
                          ------------------------------------------

Here it is, Bill Z Bub's "Virtual Halen"...

Recorded live in one take in a basement studio in early '96..enjoy!

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/doctor.mp3

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/dance.mp3

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/i'mtheone.mp3

That's VH done RIGHT!!!

Comment

I'd wager a 'real' vintage MXR Flanger, that would cost the same or less than the new VH flanger, would sound at least as good, probably better. Never had one of the new flanger reissues, so I can't comment there.

Pete
                            I didn't say anything bad about the real vintage one, I was simply stating that both the vintage and EVH flanger are 18 volt.

Comment

Originally posted by donvandam
                              I didn't say anything bad about the real vintage one, I was simply stating that both the vintage and EVH flanger are 18 volt.
                              I was just adding clarification. Now we're triple clarified!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X