No announcement yet.

Good multi-fx processor for tube amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good multi-fx processor for tube amp...

Right now I'm using a Boss GT-8 with my Peavey JSX. In order to utilize the JSX's awesome sounding distorted channels, I'm using the so-called 4 cable method. This allows me to place the JSX's pre-amp within the fx loop of the GT-8, which lets me place pre-effects like overdrive, etc. in front of the pre-amp and post-effects after the JSX pre-amp.

The problem is, I find that this method seems to sap some of the tone from my amp. The Crunch and Ultra channels just don't seem to have quite the same omph to them. If I run the GT-8 directly into the main input of the amp, I can't put any effects before the pre-amp. And if I run directly into the FX Return of the amp, I can't use the JSX pre-amp at all.

I'm curious what other owners of great sounding tube amps use in the way of a multi-fx processor. Are there any that allow you the flexability to place effects before and after your amp's pre-amp without depleting or altering the original tone? I don't really wan't to run a bunch of individual pedals if I can avoid it.

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but my GT8 is freakin' seamless with my JSX. I can bypass the fx loop via the footswitch, and I lose not a bit of tone when all the fx are off. Might want to check your volumes on everything... where is the send/return level on the JSX at?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
      I don't know what you're doing wrong, but my GT8 is freakin' seamless with my JSX. I can bypass the fx loop via the footswitch, and I lose not a bit of tone when all the fx are off. Might want to check your volumes on everything... where is the send/return level on the JSX at?

Pete
      Don't get me wrong. It doesn't sound bad. But a lot of users of the GT-8 and 4 cable method report losing some of their amp's original tone. Are you running the 4 cable method?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you lose no tone when bypassing the fx loop and have all the fx off. Why not just plug straight into your amp with no GT-8 at all? Am I missing something?

Btw, I have the FX Send at 10 and the Return at 0. According to Peavey, this allows for the quietest operation.

Comment

No, if you turn all the fx off and the GT8 sounds the same as with the fx loop bypassed, that means you're not losing tone through the fx, IMHO. Makes sense to me anyways. I believe my loop is cranked on send and return pretty much, It's downstairs in the garage (I keep my gig stuff down there, since it's a bitch to lug it upstairs to the music room every time I play a gig.) What you want is to have the same volume with the loop on or off. There are a lot of places to adjust the volume internally on the GT8, so you'd want to watch that too.

It's great that Peavey gave that info, but try other settings. You take other people's opinions too heavily - Are you stating that YOU can tell a difference, or are you suddenly concerned with the fact that others SAY there is a loss of tone? You need to do what sounds good to you, not what other people say on boards.

BTW, a friend of mine has a Diezel and is really happy with his GT8 running four cable method. Works great with my JSX too (4 cable). I'm happy.

Pete

Comment

As a side note - I was really surprised and impressed by the JSX the other day. I remember being pretty curious about them when they came out, but I had never tried one. That Ultra channel is really great. Thick, chunky, tight, and the amp itself is very quiet. I could see myself picking one up some day to play around with.

Comment

what is this 4 cable method? how does it work? does it work with every amp?
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD
              The 4 cable method is simply a way of connecting the GT-8 (using 4 cables, of course) to your amp in a way that allows you to utilize either your amp's pre-amp or the GT-8's pre-amp sims at your discretion. Most people who use the 4CM do so because they like the sound of their amp's pre-amp/distortion and don't need the GT-8's pre-amp sims. But they still want the ability to place pre-effects like overdrive before their amp's pre-amp and post-effects (time-based) like delay after the pre-amp. It can be used with any amp that has an fx loop. Although a serial loop works better than a parallel one.

The problem is, when you put your amp's pre-amp into the loop of the GT-8, you lose some tone because of the AD/DA conversion. There are ways to help compensate for the loss of tone, but not completely.

Twisteramps, the main problem I have with the GT-8 and the 4CM is with the JSX's distortion channels. If you plug straight into the amp and crank up the gain on either the Crunch or Ultra channels, it sounds powerful yet clear. Through the GT-8 and 4CM however, if you try to turn the gain up too much the distorted channels become muddy. I get around this by keeping the gain on the JSX low (between 3-4) and using one of the GT-8's overdrives for more distortion/power. But at the expense of coloring the original tone. One of the main reasons I went with the JSX was because it's stock distortion channels were so impressive sounding.

Comment

I have no problems with muddy tones on my JSX using the four cable method. Not sure why you are... are you using good cables?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by markD
                  Here's a diagram from Boss GT Central. Disregard the fifth cable.
                  http://www.bossgtcentral.com/modules...ighlight=bv120
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

cool. thanks, guys, for explaining that to me.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

READ section 7 & 8

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/manuals...xSet-upv02.pdf
                      Last edited by finnman; 09-07-2006, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Almost as confusing as the Vetta d/l!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                          I have no problems with muddy tones on my JSX using the four cable method. Not sure why you are... are you using good cables?

Pete
                          All I'm saying is that if I play through the distortion channels through the 4CM with the loop on in the GT-8, even with all other effects turned off, they don't sound the same or as powerful as if I were to plug straight into the amp's main input.

It's happening to you too. No way around the AD/DA conversion problem. But maybe its not happening to you to such an extent that its reasonably noticable. If that's the case, maybe my levels are off on the GT-8? What do you have the fx levels, etc. set to on yours? Also, what are fx loop knobs on the back of your JSX set to?

Believe me, if you can lay out a good level matching procedure for me to follow, I'd be more than happy! No way I want to go back to a big chain of stompboxes...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack71
                            All I'm saying is that if I play through the distortion channels through the 4CM with the loop on in the GT-8, even with all other effects turned off, they don't sound the same or as powerful as if I were to plug straight into the amp's main input.

It's happening to you too. No way around the AD/DA conversion problem. But maybe its not happening to you to such an extent that its reasonably noticable. If that's the case, maybe my levels are off on the GT-8? What do you have the fx levels, etc. set to on yours? Also, what are fx loop knobs on the back of your JSX set to?

Believe me, if you can lay out a good level matching procedure for me to follow, I'd be more than happy! No way I want to go back to a big chain of stompboxes...
                            It may be awhile before I get all my gear out of the garage - my GT8 is part of my pedalboard and I tend to only take it out when I'm gigging - I'm off the next week, going to a wedding this weekend.

I'll try to take a look at my settings soon and report back. I'm curious though - how do you know it's an A/D to D/A conversion problem? Have you tried cranking the fx send/return on the JSX? Have you tried turning the fx loop off and comparing it with the GT8 in the loop, all effects off? How is it sounding differently? Quieter? Bassier, tinnier, ?

Pete

Comment

I had a GT-3 and use a GT-5.
                              You have to understand the "Level Matching" section 8 and
                              "External effects loop" section 29. Period.
                              Please give them a read.
                              http://www.bossgtcentral.com/manuals...xSet-upv02.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X