Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be a Tube Issue?

Hi All,

Since I don't know much about amps, I thought I would pose this problem here for advice before I went out and spent a bunch of money on the wrong things.

I have a B-52 AT-100 head and cab that I love. Sounds great and suits my needs perfectly. It is about 2 years old and I play it for an hour or two just about everyday. I had to send it in for a power supply problem last year, but it has been working fine up till lately.

Here is the problem:

It makes intermittent crackling sound. Something like wind blowing across an open mike. (I don't know if that makes any sense ) I have not been able to trace the crackling to anything specific.

Here is what I have done so far:

I replaced my guitar cables and cab cable but it did not affect the problem. So then I reseated the 6L6 tubes and the crackling went away for a couple of weeks. I reseated the 6L6s again and the crackling went away for a couple of weeks again. It came back this weekend and I reseated the 6L6s once again and the crackling sound is gone.

Here is my question:

Since the problem would appear to be related to the 6L6s, should I buy another set and replace them? Or is this problem symptomatic of something else?

Thanks,

-Joe
    Jackson: DK1
    Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Joe, you seemed to have located and resolved the problem..even tho temporarily..

does that tube seat in nice and snug like the others??

It seems like it just vibrates loose..

I don't have a good remedy for that, but many here that play with amps may..

I never experienced that, but it would be nice to know if I did..

Bill
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666

does that tube seat in nice and snug like the others??

It seems like it just vibrates loose..
      Hi Bill, It seems that the tubes are all in snug. I have not noticed that any of them seem loose. However, I would suspect that may be one of the things that could be happening.
      Jackson: DK1
      Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

I had a similar problem yesterday. I tapped the power tubes (JJ EL34Ls)with my guitar pick and the noise went away. I keep the back of my amp off for better air circulation so runs cooler, and so I can monitor or change tubes at will.

Comment

Working...
        X