EVM12L Speakers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVM12L Speakers....

I have a pair of EVM12L's in a cab that tests at 4 ohms. These are the Zak Wylde ones s of lately, same speaker, just a name change.

I've only seen 8 and 16 ohm ones... I'll assume it's in how they're wired and have not pulled them to see.

But these things just rule over all my celestions.

A odd and likely un-answerable question here... Anyone ever hear tonal differences between 8 and 16 version?

I'm borrowing this cab (maybe forever) and may wish to (yikes $$) buy some of these for a Marshal cab, but wonder which ones maybe...

Next, a more answerable question...

I may stick these in a cab with two other celestions 25's or 75's and I'm not liking the Celestion so much anymore and so I'm debating about just running the cab with the EVs and leaving the Celestions disconnected. ie: Passive radiater setup... I realize those are usually tuned to the cab and accompanying speakers etc. But what do you guys think?

Cleve - check the spl ratings on the speakers - if the Celestions are much lower, I'd say leave em hooked up, the EV's should dominate. I love EV speakers, but good god, I coudn't imagine toting a 4x12 loaded with them. I bet the cab would weigh a kajillion pounds!

Regarding tone of speakers at different ohms... the output transformer has different taps on it, or places where the winding is interrupted. Kinda like a tapped guitar pickup. I try to use my amps set to 16 ohms because that uses the 'full' windings of the output transformer instead of just part. I think it sounds a little beefier. Have never done anything scientific to prove this though.

Pete

Comment

Yeah, this cheap assed 2x12 cab weighs 70 pounds I bet... My celestion 4x12 is what 90 pounds? ugh...

Oh, I know it's gonna be heavy. But these EVMs are tight down low (unlike the V30s), and not brash up high (like the 75s)... friggin sweet... Worth it I think for me...

Comment

I gotta hear these..can't waite..

I remeber Tony bought those EV Ls years ago..but that was way before we knew what we were doing..

I'm still not quite sure I know what I'm doing..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Pete...

You think I should mix the EV's with the 25 watt green backs, or the 75 watt Celestions?

Comment

Interesting. Meter rates these EV12Ls at 6 ohms...

Curious as to whether they'd be considered and 8 or 4 ohm speaker... No indicator on them as to "official" impedance.

If my memory is correct, I'll say 8 ohms.

Any comments?

Comment

Working...
            X