Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass amps..Yes you heard me, BASS AMPS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass amps..Yes you heard me, BASS AMPS!!

I've decided that I'm gonna have to get a bass rig. Our new bass player (my cousin) was previously a guitar player, but has jumped into bass with both feet. He is already better on bass than most bass players I know. Unfortunately he's gonna be strapped for cash for a while because he bought a new house, his wife is pregnant, AND he's starting a new job.

So, he won't be able to buy a bass rig for a few months (he already has a bass). I figure I can get something cheap for him to use in the meantime.

What I really want, is a 300 watt head to use with a 1X15 cab and a 4X10 cab. We need something loud, but we don't need top of the line Ampeg stuff yet.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, because I know nothing about bass amps.

Here's a couple I've seen on Ebay.

Here's an old Peavey Mark III
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Mark-III-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's another Peavey, a Mark VI, and will probably go cheap.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Mark-VI-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Another Mark III
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-mark-III-...QQcmdZViewItem

A new SWR Workingpro 400
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SWR-Workingpro-4...QQcmdZViewItem

Another SWR
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SWR-Bass-350-amp...QQcmdZViewItem

Behringer is cheap
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BEHRINGER-BX-450...QQcmdZViewItem

So is Ashdown
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I want to spend between $300 - $400. So the question is: do I go cheap used, or cheap new?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Look into the Carvin R1000 / R600 bass heads. They can be removed from their "headshell" and rackmounted. They sound better than any of the ones you listed and it can hang easily with an Ampeg SVT-IV Pro. I picked one up for really cheap (I can't remember the exact price somewhere between $100-$200) and I used it myself for about 8 shows and the bass player for my other band used it for about 20 shows and a combined time of about 200-300 hours at band practice. The Behringer one you listed is a POS, sounds bad and will probably break. A local shop stopped carrying them simply because they break down too often and people were coming back and complaining. Peavey Mark series are okay, very cheap but the sound isn't the best and they don't seem to get loud enough.

It is important to note that a bass with good pickups is definitely required and makes a huge difference.

Bill will be by shortly to agree with me.

Comment

I just found a couple of the Carvins on Ebay. They are 600 and 1000 watts, and VERY cheap. I might go for one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed
        Look into the Carvin R1000 / R600 bass heads. They can be removed from their "headshell" and rackmounted. They sound better than any of the ones you listed and it can hang easily with an Ampeg SVT-IV Pro. I picked one up for really cheap (I can't remember the exact price somewhere between $100-$200) and I used it myself for about 8 shows and the bass player for my other band used it for about 20 shows and a combined time of about 200-300 hours at band practice. The Behringer one you listed is a POS, sounds bad and will probably break. A local shop stopped carrying them simply because they break down too often and people were coming back and complaining. Peavey Mark series are okay, very cheap but the sound isn't the best and they don't seem to get loud enough.

It is important to note that a bass with good pickups is definitely required and makes a huge difference.

Bill will be by shortly to agree with me.
        +1 Zeeg, those Carvins kick butt. I still have a 400W head and cabs from 1989 sound great and have had no problems. One of the most underated setups IMO.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I just went thru this exact same scenrio

found a Used GK800rb for 250 and a used Peavey 410tvx for 225.......
          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Zeegs...Dude, I been thru more bass rigs than I can remember..incluing the Peavy Mrk III's, The Mrk IV's and The 800 watt Peavey Max head, based on the CS 800 poweramp ..I ran that w/ two Peavey 3220 cabs..biggest bass cabs ever but WOW..they have 2 18" and 2-10"s in each...Black widow and scorpions respectively..

The Carvin red eye stack..is THE best bass amp I have ever owned and ever will own..

I want to buy another one..I already had 3 Carvin stacks in the last 25+ years..This will be my fourth..

I like the 1-18" / 4-10" cab configuration..

Carvin speakers are based on the discontinued EV pro lines that were used in earlier Carvins..actually I think they sound even tighter..they do NOT fart..when maxing any amps I ran thru them..full tilt..

I HATE the Hartke cabs..I wasted big time money buying two of the XL series cabs..they are lame..and fart like a fat whore..

For used bass gear Peavey is reliable..SWR stuff is cool and well as any era Ampegs..I had both old and new SVT heads..very warm tone..I prefer the older ones..

The bass tone I go for sounds like a fuggin' piano..sharp, crisp and clear..with a very tight bottom..no farting aloud!

If you can find some Carvin stuff cheap..that's be my first choice..personally..

I haven't tried their newer stack..I would love to...maybe they are going to discontinue the "red eye" series..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh I did mucho gigs with the Carvin 900 series head..without a hiccup..

Carvin has AWESOME bass tone..I got so many complements on my sound..every bassist we played with went nuts over it..a few of them bought the Carvin stuff..

Carvin bass amps RULE!!

all you need then is a G & L 2000 or that new "tribute" bass to go along with it..that's a monster combo !!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Carvin Blows, I play in "LIGHTS" The Tribute to Journey and BB KINGS in Hollywood makes you use CARVIN...Again the CARVIN Bass Stuff Blows.

I am Ampeg Man, But I played through a SWR 2X10 Combo at The Mint in West LA and it RULED...Trying to find one for myself....Oh..Here's a shot of My Rig...

SORRY TO GET SASSY, I JUST HAVE BEEN EMBARESSED WITH BLOW FUSES from CARVIN too many times in the past 20 Years...

Comment

hmm...weird, None of my Carvins ever failed me once..nadda!

My Ampeg SVT II sure did..

John will post my live bass solo..whenever we figure out how to post it..it's a crude tape, but you can hear my tone and how I use it.

I stand by my words..Carvin RULES!

My old '76 SVT was nice..w/8-10" cab..it's was a kidney rattler, but a bit crude as well....and you need 2.5 guys to carry the shit...and that sucks ass when your playing every weekend..Sat and Sun..

That;'s why I like the 1-18"/4-10" cabs..they are a bit more portable..

I always ran my shit biamped as well..never bridged..Carvin gives you the option to fine tune and balance both cabs to your liking as well..I never used the horn..the 10's had plenty of highs..and The Carvin 18" speakers are stellar, as was the EV pro lines!

plus a graphic/ parametric EQ and built in compressor and noise gate that workes like a charm..and a boost switch for any solo shit..

That's OK, I'll stick to Carvin, thank you very much..

Ampeg is good, glad your happy with it..

I LOVE Carvin bass amps but don't like their guitar amps..

I LOVE Peavey guitar amps such as the 5150 but I'm not too fond of their bass stuff..it's cheap and reliable and does the trick I suppose.

Peavey used to have better bass shit..The "Max" head was damn nice..but HEAVY!

Comment

Another vote for Carvin...the bass player in my regular band uses a Carvin 8x10 cab and the bass player in the newest band I've been playing with uses the full Carvin setup like that and it sounds amazing...

Comment

I have an Eden 410XLT cabinet which is phenomenal.

Eden cabinets are awesome, very efficient. Better than Ampeg, in my experience. High efficinecy is important, especially if you are buying a smaller amp (300W) and want to be heard over the rest of the band.

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Well honestly, for the price of a used Carvin R1000, you can't beat it.

Comment

Posepatrol I'm gonna get sassy myself-my friend Mike in Hopesfall went thru 3 or 4 SVT4Pro's last year on the Warped tour...I watched one tank out right in the middle of their set here in Charlotte! Two sides to every coin I guess.

Comment

Post the bass solo already Bill! Haha!

Comment

Cool stuff

Is it just me or do you other guitarists browse mags and think picking out a bass rig looks so fun and easy? I'll admit I don't know the finer things about bass amps but man when I get the Carvin catalog, their bass stuff always looks mouthwatering.

Comment

Working...
                              X