poweramp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poweramp suggestions

Right now I'm in the process of putting together a rackmount setup. I'm not too familiar with them and have never really looked into them much, so I'll take any suggestions. Not really looking for anything expensive, just something cheap and effective (if possible).
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

well, i have always been about having the power amp contribute to my distortion. i like a nice, thick, powerful sound with the ephasis on the midrange. when i used a rack i went through 3 poweramps. for a preamp i was using an ADA MP-1.

the first was a marshall valvestate 80/80. i bought it because it was cheap. i didn't like it. it sounded thin and weak.

the second was a peavey classic 50/50. i liked that A LOT. it used 8 el-84's (i think) and a couple of 12ax7's. it sounded thick!!! what i really liked about it was it had resonance and presence controls for each channel so you could shape the response of the power amp. it was reasonably priced too. i paid $329.00 for it and it was 2 or 3 rack spaces. well built and sounded killer!!!

the 3rd was a rivera hammer 120. being a rivera user for so many years it gave me all the options of the power sections of my heads. 1/2 power, pentode/triode, focus, presence, etc. per channel. VERY flexible tonally and output-wise. it could be 60, 30, 15, 5 watts per channel depending on how you configured it. it came stock with EL34's, but it would also take 6L6's. the down side was it was 4 rack spaces, weighed a TON and cost A LOT. it sounded great, but......it was too much.

my favorite of the 3 was the peavey classic 50/50.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The Peavey Classic power amps are great for the price, although they seem to be selling for more $$$ than a couple years ago. I bought a Classic 60 mono model for around $250 - the 50/50 is going for considerably more. I also have an old Carvin T100. The Peavey colors the tone more (6L6 vs. EL34), but I haven't had a chance to run the Carvin at high volume yet, so maybe it will be different under those circumstances.
      sigpic

Comment

for solid state: Rocktron Velocity 120

for tube: Peavey Classic 50/50
        Carvin T100 and TS100
        Mesa 50/50
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Marshall also make both SS & Tube poweramps.

Comment

+1 for the peavey classics

Comment

Originally posted by jtr
              Marshall also make both SS & Tube poweramps.
              marshall no longer make SS rack mount amps. the only marshall rack mount poweramps available now are the EL34 range of which i have the EL34 100/100 and it kicks ass tbh.
              My music:
              www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

Good detail MarkD. For "cheap and effective, yeah the Peavey classice50/50 (2space) is a good option...are you planning on leaving it in one location, or will you be gigging with it? I ask because you MIGHT be able to find some of the older "BEASTS" for a decent price, such as a Marshall 9000 series(like this... http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/Marshall9005.htm) or maybe a Mesa/Boogie 295. They are 4 space units and HEEEEAAAAAVY...but are worthy!!
                Good luck in your search!
                Last edited by SoCal; 06-26-2006, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X