PodXt-Suggestions on amplifing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PodXt-Suggestions on amplifing

Has anyone had any good luck on using the PodXt amplified?Anyone get close to the headphone sound at LOUD levels?Any amps seem to work better with this set-up?

I've tried powered monitors (Mackie 824s), tube power amp (VHT 2502), and solid state power amp (Carvin DCM150). The Carvin came out the winner among those three, but never really sounded as good as the headphones. Went back to a tube head and pedalboard for live sound. The POD gets the nod for late night headphone practice and direct recording.

Comment

I have run a bunch of modelers through "live" setups.

Here is what I have found.

The best sound I got from my modelers was through a 10 year old Peavey Studio Pro 112 combo, in the return of the effects loop. For some reason, THAT speaker works just so well with modelers. That little setup absolutely murdered running through a SS poweramp into an Avatar 2x12 loaded with one V30 and one G12H as well as into a Tech 21 TM60, which has a "transparent" speaker.

Now, as for volume....I never cranked it that loud...loud enough to send my pets running and annoy my neighbors, but not loud enough to overcome a drummer.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Thanks Mike,
        I never would have guessed Peavy would come out ahead.I'am looking for an "arena level" push with trying to keep as much desirable dynamics as possible.
        Anyone?

Comment

Behringer A500 or some other hi-fi type poweramp. I suggest that one because it's cheap and gets good reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy
            Behringer A500 or some other hi-fi type poweramp. I suggest that one because it's cheap and gets good reviews.
            Or buy 6 old Studio Pros and daisy chain them!!!! They are 65 Watts in the 1x12 configuration, I think they also came in 2x12 versions.

Actually, I am waiting back from Peavey to hear what kind of speaker is in this little amp, because it is not marked.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Mesa Boogie 50/50

Comment

I found that running my XTL thru my Vox AD60VTX's effect loop warmed it up nicely. Sounds much better than thru headphones.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I'm running my xt through a cheap Gem power amp(89 bucks,!00 watts per side) and a Behringer ultra stack(350 bucks) for stage and rehersal,and through a pair of Behringer truthb2031a monitors for practice. I know a lot of people bash Berhinger,but so far,(tw0 mixing boards,above equip.,and several rack units) I've had only one problem,a bass amp that just did not sound good.
                  www.thejimmyhatz.com

Comment

peavey PA amp and some PA (full range) cabinets.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I run mine thru an Atomic 112-18watt. I love the way it sounds. I like it so much I just ordered the Atomic 112-50 watt. The only thing the 18 watter lacked was headroom and now the 50 watter solved that problem.

I sold my Vetta because the Atomic sounded so good. I can get a good sound out of the speaker and DI at the same time. You can get both to sound similar.

I find the XT to gets too bright thru a full range set up at higher volumes. I think it sounds good thru just about any quality power amp => speaker cab set up. The Atomic gave it that little extra something that made me go WOW.

Comment

I ran my PodXT Pro into a VHT 2:90:2 and out into a Mesa Oversided cab. Sounds pretty kicken. Once you leave the full range setups, Don't expect to get the same tones out of it you would get out of your headphones. But, it sounds just crushing.

-Nate
                        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

i've been using the crate powerblock lately and loving it.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Crate Power Block or Carvin DCM150.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

For higher volumes, I run my Pod XT Live into a JBL Eon G2 (15" speaker + horn) or into the effects return of a Marshall Artist 3203 head (which has a tube power section) into a Marshall 1960A 4x12 (75 watt Celestions) - or sometimes into both at the same time, for a stereo spread. I prefer the sound of the Marshall setup over the JBL.

For lower volume practice, I really like the sound of the XTL running through Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X