Insulating a 4x12 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating a 4x12 cab

Anybody have any experience insulating a 4x12 cab? I have a vintage 80s Laney 4x12 cab, with Celestions, and I'm wondering how that would affect the sound if it? Are there benefits/is it worth it?
    I'm not Ron!

I tried using some egg crate style foam on a Marshall 4x12 once. I could tell a little difference in that it added a little more punch but the diffrerence was minute.

Comment

i've never insulated a 4x12 but have insulated a 1x12 combo with a ported back, some hi-fi speakers, and some car audio boxes. to my ear, insulating a speaker box cuts down the boominess of the bass frequencies and tones down the hi's. this could be good or bad depending on your sound preference.

Comment

Well, since I posted the above question, I have found this explanation:

"The real reason for insulating speaker cabinets isn't to keep the sound from escaping, it is used to tune the sound and response of the cabinet. Insulation will lower the resonant frequency of the cabinet while breaking up "standing waves" that occur. Personally I think insulation makes the cabinet sound flat, which ironically is exactly what this is designed to do. While that may be fine for stereo speakers, I prefer guitar cabinets that have their own personality, which comes from the wood, the resonance, the standing waves, and more. Insulation to me also makes the cabinet sound less efficient, probably since it's absorbing the resonance of the cabinet, and this in turn seems to detract from the acoustic output."
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
        X