Shipping amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping amps

What is the best way to ship a tube amp? Should I remove the tubes or not? Thanks.
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Don't - LOL!

Sorry, too many horror stories. I haven't shipped or recieved an amp since the 90's.

Siggy14 (Todd) does a lot of amp swapping - pm him for tips.

Comment

I sold one on ebay so I guess I better get a pile of insurance! Tubes? Remove?
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

More important than whether you yank the tubes is how you pack it. Peanuts and bubble wrap are poor choices. Visit a packing store and have them cut some high density foam to size, I've had good luck shipping amps and other heavy things packed with 2" of HD foam on every side.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Here's what I did on the last amp I shipped (zeeg's 18watt):

1)take out tubes, wrap them in bubble wrap, stick back inside headshell, wrap entire headshell with bubble wrap. Place this in a box. Crushed newspaper to insulate at least 1-2" all the way around the larger box.

I've never had an amp damaged (thank God) but I always pack it like it's going to be dropped from several feet - because it will be. Heavy packages really take grief - we're talking about stuff being pushed off trucks, etc... foam is awesome, but I'd double box too if at all possible.

Pete

Comment

Wow, thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
              Here's what I did on the last amp I shipped (zeeg's 18watt):

1)take out tubes, wrap them in bubble wrap, stick back inside headshell, wrap entire headshell with bubble wrap. Place this in a box. Crushed newspaper to insulate at least 1-2" all the way around the larger box.

I've never had an amp damaged (thank God) but I always pack it like it's going to be dropped from several feet - because it will be. Heavy packages really take grief - we're talking about stuff being pushed off trucks, etc... foam is awesome, but I'd double box too if at all possible.

Pete
              +1. Tubes out, bubble wrap and pack 'em. And LOTS of padding between the amp and the box. Insure it
              If it is a combo, NEVER stick anything inside the cabinet - footswitch or tubes can rip speaker cones...
              I've shipped 2 Mk IIC+'s, and ENGL strait

Comment

I've shipped a couple of heads without any problem: bubblewrapped the head, put that in a box with balls of newspaper (heh, heh - "newspaper balls"), put that box in a box of styrofoam.

Big, expensive, and heavy, but it worked.

Oh, and yup - tubes out and well wrapped.

Keith
                The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

When I sold my Mesa F-30 combo on ebay, I just put it in a big computer box, put its slip cover over it, put it on top of some foam, surrounded by more foam, newspaper and peanuts, made sure the thing didn't move at all in the box. I didn't remove the tubes. It arrived fine.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I take out the tubes, wrap them individually with bubble wrap, then wrap the stock and put them in the back of the amp. I then wrap the amp up in loads of bubble wrap. I start with big bubbles and then the little ones on the outside. I then place that in a box. After putting that in the box, I make sure there is no movement at all. If there is, I place cardboard or foam and make it a tight fit.

I've never had an amp not make it to where it was going, and I've never had a complaint on my packaging.

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

+1 on the remove tube advise.

I had an idiot send me a Peavey 50/50 Classic power amp (it's heavy) in a nice, thin, tight fitting cardboard box. No cushion or protection whatsoever. During shipment a few pots bended and some of the tubes were knocked out of their sockets! What a jerk

Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                        X