No announcement yet.

What's a good OD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"i use the Zakk Regularly. Its a cleaner, louder,more transparent SD1.
    If you like the SD1, youll love this...."
    i've been told that the mxr unit is more noisy than the sd1, is that true?
    furthermore, is there enough of a sonic difference to justify spending the extra $$ on the ZW overdrive vs the sd-1?

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
      furthermore, is there enough of a sonic difference to justify spending the extra $$ on the ZW overdrive vs the sd-1?
      I doubt it. I haven't really bothered to try to find something better because my SD1 does exactly what I need it to do. If someone stole it, I would hunt them down and cut off their hands.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

i hear you....the sd 1 is awesome for anything thrash/speed/shred. for balls out death metal i'd rather use the boss mt2 as a boost - don't laugh, that's a great sounding setup! ask cannibal corpse

Comment

Sorry, but what are intending to do?
          Use it for a nice edgey crunch or boost for lead?
          Depending on how you dial it in, the TS9 works great for both, but thats just me.
          Haven't tried one yet, but I have heard very good comments about Zak's OD though.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusher
            No love for the Digitech Bad Monkey?
            A lot of people seem to love those. I've actually got the older, discontinued version of that... the DOD Juice Box. Great pedal!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
              More noisy?? Nope....
              Louder and Cleaner ?? Yes...
              Worth it to me over the SD1?? You bet.....
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

What I'm doing is this. Channel one on my Mesa is the clean channel. Channel 2 (lead) is my lower output sound. My main rythym sound and cleaner lead sound. Like a Slash vibe. I want a OD as a way to contour the lead channel for more gain and a bit more low end. That would be my Shred lead and heavier rythym sound. Think Metallica or Zakk. I like the tone I get from the MKIII, just need to add more gain when needed. I could do this from the amp, but then I get one less "channel" and it makes my clean sound a little dirty. Thanks for all the advice.
                H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

"I want a OD as a way to contour the lead channel for more gain and a bit more low end"
                  mh....more gain is no problem, all OD units do that (DUH!), but so far i haven't found a boost that doesn't suck some low end. the ibanez tubescreamer is well known for the fact that it cuts some of the "flubby" lows and low mids - think andy sneap. matter of fact, i'm not even sure if adding lows before the input of the amp is a good idea, you might run into some tightness issues....

Comment

Death Angel- Frolic Through the Park: JCM 800+SD-1= Killer tone

Comment

What about the YJM pedal? Music123 has them for 30 bucks shipped.
                      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986
                        What about the YJM pedal? Music123 has them for 30 bucks shipped.
                        I had one. Save your nickels. Pretty much all the overdrives discussed in this thread are better.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I have a pre-built "Tri-Booster" from buildyourownclone.com coming in. I found it on e-bay. Has a Germanium vintage style treble booster, a silicon diode boost and a mosfet clean boost, all in one pedal. It will be here on Saturday...I am hoping it pushes my already gain happy Witchdoctor into the realm of brutal and liquid.

I will let you know how I like it.

I still say the Crispy Cream is right up your alley...I want one as well, I just don't want to wait.

I have also heard some great stuff about the Liquid Sunshine pedal and the Timmy pedal.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                          X