Peavey XXX vs. 5150/6505 vs. ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX vs. 5150/6505 vs. ???

My brother is in the market for a new amp to replace his current Peavey Heritage VTX head. The Heritage is a nice amp, but since he needs something that can go from clean to full-on death metal, the head alone doesn't cut it. He's been using a DOD FX7 into the clean channel, and it has served him well, but the pedal's distortion is equivalent to the DOD Grunge, and gets a bit fuzzy. There are some decent effects and a noise gate on the DOD, but nothing he can't live without live. He has a Peavey 412MS cab with Sheffield speakers.

The two amps highest on his list at the moment are the Peavey 5150/6505 and the Triple XXX. He tried a Valve King and it was "OK" but not amazing, and hasn't had a chance to try the XXX. The band we share a practice space with has a 5150, but the mid knob is snapped off and they don't have the pedal, plus he didn't want to mess with someone else's settings. The general sound was better than what he currently has, more focused. He plays rhythm and doesn't need lots of channels or effects. Melodic death/thrash in standard tuning is the desired sound.

We can get a discount through Peavey, so any other amp suggestions would need to be well under $1000 shipped (new) to be considered. I haven't seen anything locally that was particularly inspiring, and he doesn't have much enthusiasm for gear shopping...we're talking zero GAS with this kid! In any case, comparisons and suggestions are welcome.
    sigpic

5150 used
    6505 new

Comment

They just got a used XXX in at Roseville MGR.. but its seen better days.. some of the knobs are busted off and require a screwdriver to adjust. To me, that didn't sound similar to the Trace modded one I have.
      I really like my XXX. I think the clean channel is fine.. just doesn't have an active eq like the gain channels.

Someone was there trying out a Valveking yesterday and it seems more a cross between a Marshall and a Peavey....the volume wasn't really loud so that may have had some weight on how it will come across. Good definition with double picking and palm mute.. just not crushing gain.. more Marshall level.
      I wasn't tweaking the knobs either tho..

Maybe a JSX would be a consideration too?

Comment

I still miss that Voodoo modded Triple XXX. If yiu ever decide to sell it, please let me know. I'll definitely buy it back.

Originally posted by charvelguy
        They just got a used XXX in at Roseville MGR.. but its seen better days.. some of the knobs are busted off and require a screwdriver to adjust. To me, that didn't sound similar to the Trace modded one I have.
        I really like my XXX. I think the clean channel is fine.. just doesn't have an active eq like the gain channels.

Someone was there trying out a Valveking yesterday and it seems more a cross between a Marshall and a Peavey....the volume wasn't really loud so that may have had some weight on how it will come across. Good definition with double picking and palm mute.. just not crushing gain.. more Marshall level.
        I wasn't tweaking the knobs either tho..

Maybe a JSX would be a consideration too?

Comment

I'm surprised you sold it Ervin...not to rub it in, but its a great sounding amp. It sounds good even at bedroom levels.
          If I do sell tho.. I will remember your name as first in consideration.

Comment

It certainly is. I needed the money at the time, so I had to let it go. Now I'm playing thru a Spalwn Competition, which sounds incredible. But I still miss the Triple XXX. I'm glad it went to a good home.

Comment

Splawns are great amps.. I've never played one but from the clips I've heard you did well in a replacement. That GMW is alot like a Mason Bernard I have too.

Comment

Maybe I'll suggest that he check out that XXX, just to get an idea of the sound. The JSX is probably more amp than Chris needs, and doesn't warrant the extra cost over a XXX. With a 5150 next to him, he was able to tweak his own rig to more or less match it, which is a step in the right direction.

I'm resisting the GAS on this, living vicariously through him. I did some EQ adjustment of my own to beef things up a bit. Since we've tried to avoid tuning down, it's tough getting a tone that's heavy (dare I say brutal?) without getting muddy.
                sigpic

Comment

well, i REALLY like the 5150

Comment

I played through that XXX at MGR Roseville today. It's beat, but sounds alright - better than the Marshall DSL series IMHO. I did like the Valve King as well - I liked it!! The head was FAR better sounding than the 2x12 combo though.

If I had the choice of the two all things being equal, I'd go for the XXX. Nice sounding amp, with gain for days, even on the CRUNCH channel. Teh Ultra channel was REALLY smokin'! With that said $499 new for the Valve King head is a GREAT price for what you get as far as I can see. I can't believe there's no footswitch though.

Comment

I like my Uber MUCH better..

but if I din't have that I would have a 5150..

I had five 5150s since they came out in 90'..I think they sound a little more "organic" than the XXX..

I did hear some great players use the XXX..Jeff Loomis did for a little while..but he sounds great no matter what he plays thru..His Krank was the worst live tone he had thru the years , and even that wasn't that bad..IMO
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

OH I must insist..I know other dudes here get by just fine with their 5150 rigs..and that cool..if it's not broke ..don't fix it.

but I went thru countless, external crap and cab configurations with the 5150s..

My conviction is this..

a 5150 head and matching cab, and your favorite FX unit and a BBE422 or 442a in the loop..

no eqs..tried alot of them..they seem cool..but when I just stripped it down to the BBE and fx processor..it sounded much less processed and natural to my ears..without the eqs in the loop.

it was a case where less was more for me on that..

Oh, I seem to like the 5150 best running the amp and cab at 4 ohms..I don't know if it was my imagination..it just seemed "better" at that setting..

The Amotts got some of the best 5150 lead tones I've ever heard..I'm working on that now..using my Dunlap 535Q in the front of the Uber..on the Hendrix sweep setting..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                          The Amotts got some of the best 5150 lead tones I've ever heard..I'm working on that now..using my Dunlap 535Q in the front of the Uber..on the Hendrix sweep setting..
                          There used to be some website that had pictures of their full setups and I remember trying out Chris and Mike's tones both... Very interesting sound... Heavily reliant on the dropped tuning, but the presence / resonance were pushed a lot higher than my liking. Definitely sounded pretty sweet for leads though..

Comment

hey inearthed, do you still have those pictures by any chance?

btw, check this out:

it's the pedal board of fredrik, the new guy in arch enemy. does anyone know what the white ibanez looking pedal next to the morley wah is? other than that, there's a boss tu2, morley wah, mystery pedal , digitech delay, hush noisegate pedal, and the krank footswitch, btw.

sorry for the hijack

Comment

Fragle, actually thanks for the highjack..who's this new player in AE..I sure wished Chris would return..the bros had "mojo" together..

The 5150 is rather "dark" sounding to my ears for leads in genral..the BBE helps make the highs cut a bit better in the mix..and keeping a nice fresh set of strings always seemed to help..

I'm also playing with my wah alot lately..just to accent bends and whatnots..that seems to help a bit too..to help my solos "sing"..

mind you I'm doing this with my Uber..which to me is a bit similiar in tone to how I used to dial in my 5150's..

one thing is the Uber hates the BBE..but fortunately it really doesn't need it..due to that it does have even a girthier sound than the 5150 and I keep the treble up pretty high..so it already has plenty of "cut"..

but to be honest ..a 5150 with a BBE 422 in the loop could hang with a player using a Uberschall..so that's pretty damn good considering the cost of both amps..

OH, I'm strictly a dirty channel player..one "bad" thing I found with the 5150..even the 5150 II with their own eq section..the clean channel always sounded lifeless and dull to my ears..not known for their clean tones..

The Uber has a very nice clean to it..but it doesn't benefit me too much ...since I don't use it..

my right hand and the guitar volume knob is all the dynamics I ever use..
                              Last edited by horns666; 06-25-2006, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X