Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had success running reverb in the front end??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had success running reverb in the front end??

OK, I got my Witchdoctor VibroChamp this week, DD3Keegs, old Voodoo modded amp. Through an Avatar 2x12 it just rips....awesome tone. However, it has no loop to add verb or delay. I tried running into a Weber Micro Mass attenuator, then out from the line out (with attenuation bypassed) through effects and then into a Valvestate 40 watt poweramp. That worked, but all the tone was sucked out...it just blew.

Delay up front was really touchy and didn't work well either. I was thinking that maybe reverb up front would work, but I am not sure. Has anyone had any luck running either a verb pedal or an outboard tube reverb unit in front of a distorted amp? I don't need crazy delay or anything..just a little ambient verb.

Anyone?

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

I've personally never had any luck running a delay thru the front. Verb, maybe, though when I finally had a decent reverb, I had an amp with a loop.

As far as my experience goes, modulation effects thru the front in any circumstance=not great.

But, then again, I dont have much experience.

Btw, LOVE the sound of your clips, I hope you get it squared away, cause that thing sounds wicked. I think I heard Mr Scary in there?
    www.myspace.com/madeaband
    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Originally posted by tseegert
      I've personally never had any luck running a delay thru the front. Verb, maybe, though when I finally had a decent reverb, I had an amp with a loop.

As far as my experience goes, modulation effects thru the front in any circumstance=not great.

But, then again, I dont have much experience.

Btw, LOVE the sound of your clips, I hope you get it squared away, cause that thing sounds wicked. I think I heard Mr Scary in there?
      Well, that is the same amp...but that is not me playing!! Those are from the Voodoo site...however, mine sounds pretty much the same as that..although Dave had it voiced a little heavier in the bottom than the amp in the clip.

Mike

Comment

How hard would it be (with all the knowledge that is this board) to install an effects loop anyways? MOD MOD MOD!
        www.myspace.com/madeaband
        www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Originally posted by tseegert
          How hard would it be (with all the knowledge that is this board) to install an effects loop anyways? MOD MOD MOD!
          Well, I asked Trace at Voodoo the same, an he intimated that he either didn't want to do it...or it would be tough due to limited space.

Also, it may be a tone sucker...don't know.

Mike

Comment

such is the delemna of owning an amp without an effects loop.
            A reverb pedal should be ok infront of your amp. I would suggest a Boss RV-5 or RV-5. Its a digital delay/reverb pedal. You can dial it in, in front of an amp.

Comment

if you want to add delay to your rig go get a Maxon analog delay - they sound great in the front end - unlike digital pedals.

as for a pedal reverb, I love my Holy Grail. It will work in front of the amp as long as the gain isn't too high - then it will sound like canned ass.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                if you want to add delay to your rig go get a Maxon analog delay - they sound great in the front end - unlike digital pedals.

as for a pedal reverb, I love my Holy Grail. It will work in front of the amp as long as the gain isn't too high - then it will sound like canned ass.
                Well, the gain is quite high...this is a one trick pony...all out wailing, nothing else.

MIke

Comment

Well, I went down to GC today after calling and asking if they had a Line 6 Verbzilla in stock. They had three and put one on hold for me. I got there, and they had none (of course, MORONS!!!)...so I got the Holy Grail.

Through the front, canned ass with any gain. So I got out the Weber Micro Mass again and set it up. This time I USED the attenuation, instead of clicking the BYPASS. Viola! It actually worked!

However, the further you turn up the mix on the Holy Grail, the more tone is sucked out...it really is amazing. I like a 50% mix on 'verb and with 50%, it just degrades the tone quality too much. So, I am going to return it and try the VerbZilla, which has more parameters to adjust. I know what would probably work best would be a vintage or a reissue tube reverb unit...I have my eye out for a decent one.

The Micro Mass is cool...it has two attenuation controls, Low/Mid and High/Mid...so you can dial in some nice tones...like second EQ section.

Mike

Comment

I have a Holy Grail and have also found that it works best on a clean channel, the more gain the worse it sounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X