Soldano Astro Nirvana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano Astro Nirvana

I've been meaning to share this with you all for some time now, but haven't had the time to write it up.

So probably like most of you, for the last few years I've been playing multi-channel amps, vintage and modern, tube and solid-state, some effects, and even some modelers.

In the summer of 2004 I visited the Experience Music Project in Seattle, For those of you haven't been, it is an interactive music museum. One of the cool things they have is a complete professional sound studio where you can play and even record songs (for a price of course). So they have a main studio and a bunch of isolation/practice rooms. So I'm waiting my turn and go into one of the isolation rooms. In it they had a Soldano Atomic 16 and a Stratocaster. So I turn it on and start playing. It was an epiphany. A tonal awakening. It was the greatest guitar tone I had ever heard. For those who don't know, the Atomic (no longer made) was a simple 16W one channel amp. No reverb, no loop, nothing.

I left the room and thought, well, it probably only sounded so perfect because it was in a sonically perfect environment. Anyway, I told myself I would try to find an Atomic and play it in a noiser environment. Once I discovered the amps were no longer made, it wasn't so easy.

Fast forward to March 2006. My local Guitar Center starts agressively pushing Soldanos. I go try out the new and more powerful models. Reverbosonic, Decatone, Avenger, etc. Nice, but not too impressed. Meanwhile, this other great local store where I go a lot which also has some used stuff gives me a call. They just got in an Atomic! I rush over there. By the time I get there, its gone! BUT, they have an Astroverb, which is what replaced the Atomic. Supposed to be the same thing + reverb. I had refrained from trying those out before because a lot of people told me they were not as dynamic and pure sounding as the Atomics. Anyway I try the Astroverb in the store, and was pretty impressed. It was very pricey though, but I knew I wanted it. I went home to sleep on it and woke up deciding I was going to buy it. Before heading to the store though I decided to check eBay. Wouldn't you know it, there was a mint condition Astroverb auction ending in 5 minutes, at a price that was exactly half of what it would have cost me in the store. I bid and won the auction. I got me a virtually new Astroverb, delivered, for just over $700. I was somewhat content.

So I get the amp and start playing. I kinda liked it, but wasn't completely digging it. I've been playing it clean, with no pedals/effects or boosts. Yet. Another fellow guitarist who is much better than me came over and listened to me play for a few minutes. He proclaimed it to be the greatest amp he had ever heard. I let him play and listened for a bit. It was really growing on me. As I continued to play it the first two weeks, it sounded better and better to me with each passing day. I realize now I had to get re-accustomed to what pure tube sound is without any effects.

Now, after playing it for a few months, and still playing other Marshall, Mesa and Fender amps from time to time, I can truly say, this is the greatest sounding amp in the world, to me. Every single one of my guitar-playing colleagues who have heard/tried it completely concur. I only kick myself for not having picked one up earlier. If you play blues to hard rock to 80s metal to probably just about anything, do yourself a favor and check out this amp.

Great review. I agree. A great amp doesn't need any effects or outside processing to sound great. I love Soldano. I owned an Astroverb and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I currently own a Soldano based rack system based around the Soldano SP77 series 2 preamp.
    It kills bugs DEAD.

Comment

Nice review. I had an atomic combo several years ago. I couldn't sell it fast enough. For me, the over drive was harsh and uninspiring. I would love to hear some clips if you get a chance.
      "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Frosty, the Astro is somewhat smoother than the Atomic. An amp guy told me just passing the signal through the reverb tank was enough to take out some of the Atomic's harshness. That's supposed to be the only difference between the two. Don't know if its true or not.

At some point I will definitely make some recordings, but I'm not set up for that right now. No mic for one thing.

I've never played any other amp that so clearly captures every string individually and even the most subtle of nuances. With an amp like this, changing pick attack or playing style opens up all sorts of new tonal possibilities. This is definitely the type of amp for the "tone is in your fingers" crowd.

And for those wondering, my combo has the Soldano purple label speaker.
        Last edited by jeff300; 06-05-2006, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Nice Review. I have an Astroverb head with a 1x12 closed back Soldano cab with a vintage 30 inside. I really like the amp. The clarity of the sound is amazing to my ears. Even with the distortion, I can hear each note ring.

Comment

Soldano, the lamborghini of amps, in a league of their own.
            They not only sound great, but last forever, quality craftmanship.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Good review, thanks!

Comment

Well said. I had JG's old one but I did not keep it around. I thought it sounded pretty good for a one channel amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
                  Soldano, the lamborghini of amps, in a league of their own.
                  They not only sound great, but last forever, quality craftmanship.
                  Plus, they go to 11!

Comment

If you think the Asto sounds good then get your hands on an SLO.

Comment

i too experienced the Soldano @ EMP in Seattle. Nirvana. I think I had the same experience as you. I began shopping for one the instant i got home, but found out the price (I was a poor college student then). Im still looking for one to this day....

Comment

Working...
                      X