Rocktron Voodu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Voodu

Hey guys. Does any one on here use one of these preamps? i'm thinking of getting one as it seems to be pretty cool and gives a huge amount of different tones. The clips on Rocktron of this preamp sound very cool (though i know there's more to it than just the preamp). Please tell me anything about it
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

I had one a while ago. Very nice, even for direct recording. They can be had used for around $300.00 last I checked.
    "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Oh, the effects were too complicated for my simple stomp box mind to tweak. ymmv
      "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

I use it on occasion...altho I tend to gravitate more to my ADA stuff.
        Its been fairly covered here tho in some discussions..try the search function. Do I recommend it? Only if you want to spend time reading the manual on how it actually works and tweaking the presets to create you're own patches. The variac and tone shaping via pre and post gain eq's are pretty decent as is the effects. I thought the presets lacked relative to the MP2 presets so you need to work with it but on the whole...it is a good preamp.

Comment

I like it and use it, though it's not the sole thing I use. It covers good ground and sounds damn good paired with a decent tube poweramp. I've also plugged directly into a soundboard with good results as well.

It has a great crunch/high gain sound when tweaked, with good usable effects, like delay, reverb, chorus, I think there's also a pitchshifting thing as well. The downside is that I find the low gain/clean sound not clean enough...it still clips pretty hard, but backing on on the volume cleans things a bit. Oh, and I have one of the older units with the Voodu dude on it, not the Online version, if that matters.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah, it has a useable pitchshift..not what I would consider the best. I've used it tho and it can be blended into a preset. The clean/dirty vol thing...that is a common problem with most preamps of this style..the ADA has a similar issue and it requires time tweaking to match volume levels. Other preamps may be more straight forward and levels are easily matched because it actually uses knobs with two different eq/vol sections...but they have less diversity in adjusting eq because they're more analog. I found a great clean on a Trace Elliott GP-9 (preamp vers of a TVT9) and rather ok distortion sounds (decent gain, just rather one dimensional in tone shaping) You had a switch for voicing style (american/brit) and a std 4 band eq with some options. Other preamps like the Kitty Hawk or the SOHO are easier to adjust because they don't require program editing.. you just work with what you have..switches and knobs.
            Last edited by charvelguy; 06-02-2006, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X