Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-Major and poor chorus sound

Guys,

I've got a TC G-Major wired into the FX loop of my Marshall 30th Anny amp. I simply cannot get a audible chorus sound out of the G-Major. There are 2 chorus' available, and I've tweaked the parameters for each of them to death, but I can't hear any difference between the chorus effect and when the chorus is off/bypassed.

I've tried running the G-Major in both serial and parallel with the amp, including setting the G-Major's "Kill Dry" setting accordingly. All levels are at 0db (ie. the max). I've set the mix anywhere between 0 and 100%. WTF?

One of the factory presets is called Lush Chorus. This preset sounds no different than when it's off/bypassed.

I *can* get a chorus-like effect by using the pitch shifter, however.

Is the chorus effect meant to be used in a stereo rig? I used to own a TC chorus pedal, and THAT thing had a lush chorus. I can't get anything like that old pedal. For what it's worth, all the other FX like delay, reverb, etc. work perfectly.

Help!
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

I own a G-Major but I'll admit, I haven't played much with the chorus effects.
    But I do suggest trying out their "Detune" effect though.
    It's very similar to a chorus.

I really like it alot.
    It helps fattens up my sound and kinda reminds me of an Eventide Harmonizer.
    Nice effect IMO.

Comment

Sorry, I said pitch shifter but meant detune.
      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete
        Is the chorus effect meant to be used in a stereo rig? I used to own a TC chorus pedal, and THAT thing had a lush chorus. I can't get anything like that old pedal. For what it's worth, all the other FX like delay, reverb, etc. work perfectly.
        Weird - I have to watch it with the chorus on mine, or it gets to be too much. I don't know what would cause that...
        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Make sure it's assigned in one of the chain blocks. The chorus sounds great. I like the roto vibe better though think "Leslie" spin cabinet.See if that is working. The tap/tempo ignore perameter will mess me up sometimes when trying to assign changes, check this as well when making adjustments.

Comment

I find the chorus on the G Major to be very weak. I think if you are running in stereo it might be more dominant, but the mono chorus is definitely subtle.

- E.
            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Outlander,

What do you mean by chain block? I don't see any reference to this in the manual. The flanger settings, which are on the chorus FX, work just fine, so I assume that the chorus FX is working fine otherwise.

Could you do me a favor? Could you shoot me all the settings for your chorus FX? I'll match it to mine and see if I get the result that you seem to be so happy with.

Comment

Outlander,

Ok, just did an experiment. I hooked the G-Major up in stereo to my Line6 Flextone III XL. The chorus works, and I dialed it in so it creates a crazy sound. I then hooked the G-Major back up to my Marshall (in parallel). No chorus, but I can hear the crazy swooshing sound in the background, while the clean signal from the amp comes through the cab. Obviously, the signal going to the G-Major is not being affected. I switched the FX loop on the Marshall to serial mode, and now there's no sound at all other than the swooshing one.

Comment

Outlander,

I think I found the problem. This is from the TC support forum, and is my problem exactly:

"Please check that you are using the Left(mono) input. If you don't have signal shown on the right input meter when using left (mono) input only. This problem is appears because of a production error.

Unfortunately we have found that we have shipped new G-Majors with defective "Mono input sense" due to a production error.

The symptoms of the problem are a as follows: the chorus effect does not work, when only the left input of the unit is connected. Only G-Majors with a serialnr between 3411771 and 3412671 are affected."

I'll call TC tomorrow. Thing is, my serial number is not in the range above...

Comment

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice...
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Even though your serial doesn't fall in that range it sounds like that might be your problem.They may have made a mistake in their affected ranges as well.
                      By chain block I was refering to the way your affects were assigned in the G-Major.You can change them from series to paralel within the unit. This chain will show on the display when your in the affected preset. This can sometimes change the intensity or focus of the affect.
                      Were you saying it works OK if you run it in stereo?

Comment

Yeah, works fine in stereo. But my Marshall 30th is a mono amp. I just got an email from their support department - I need to send it to them for repair.

Thanks for the help guys...case closed.

Comment

Working...
                        X