Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower watt poweramps (for a Quad pre)

Hey guys,

Got some money flowing in and am probably gonna take the leap and buy my first real quality tube (pre)amp: a mesa boogie Quad Preamp. Now this beast is 200 watts. I've played tubeamps in stores, my friends, fellow bandmembers, etc... But this was almost never in a home-setting of course.

But I'm struggling with some questions concerning this whole dealy, which I have to get answered some way before I go blowing cash on it.

My main situation is: mostly homeplaying for the moment, but some bandrehearsals and definite plans to get our band more serious and start gigging in the not-so-distant future. Now, for the moment, the first aspect gets priority, meaning: I don't want to blow up my house and I don't want cops knocking on my door because I'm disturbing the neighbours or my housemates.

-------------

Realistically, if I'd crank the Quad (200w) to get the sweet sounds it can reproduce, it's going to be sending one hell of a powerful signal to whatever poweramp I'm going to hook it upto. So whatever poweramp I get has to be pretty small, but preferably tubes, to get a sound that is acceptable but won't make my house shake and is useable for normal home use (for now).

---------

I was thinking a Mesa Boogie 20/20 poweramp, but I've heard those devils are loud as hell, way beyond their 22watts rating and they're kind of pricey, personally, to get on short notice.

So what other recommendations do you have, that are easy on the pocket and won't blow my house off.

Also if anyone wants to explain this stuff a bit more in detail, I'd appreciate that tremendously.

Thanks!
    Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 05-30-2006, 05:55 PM.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
    Hey guys,

Got some money flowing in and am probably gonna take the leap and buy my first real quality tube (pre)amp: a mesa boogie Quad Preamp. Now this beast is 200 watts. I've played tubeamps in stores, my friends, fellow bandmembers, etc... But this was almost never in a home-setting of course.

But I'm struggling with some questions concerning this whole dealy, which I have to get answered some way before I go blowing cash on it.

My main situation is: mostly homeplaying for the moment, but some bandrehearsals and definite plans to get our band more serious and start gigging in the not-so-distant future. Now, for the moment, the first aspect gets priority, meaning: I don't want to blow up my house and I don't want cops knocking on my door because I'm disturbing the neighbours or my housemates.

-------------

Realistically, if I'd crank the Quad (200w) to get the sweet sounds it can reproduce, it's going to be sending one hell of a powerful signal to whatever poweramp I'm going to hook it upto. So whatever poweramp I get has to be pretty small, but preferably tubes, to get a sound that is acceptable but won't make my house shake and is useable for normal home use (for now).

---------

I was thinking a Mesa Boogie 20/20 poweramp, but I've heard those devils are loud as hell, way beyond their 22watts rating and they're kind of pricey, personally, to get on short notice.

So what other recommendations do you have, that are easy on the pocket and won't blow my house off.

Also if anyone wants to explain this stuff a bit more in detail, I'd appreciate that tremendously.

Thanks!
    A quad Preamp shouldnt have any wattage output, 200 watts is probaly the power consumption it takes when plugged in, a preamp is just that, a preamp, you need a good power amp to amplify it.

With that being said, I would go with either a 20/20 or a 50/50 from mesa. I will tell you now the 50/50 will have more bottem end, while the 20/20 is ok. I have owned both and currently own a randall because i can bias it as well as mix tubes.

Comment

That was the plan eventually, but those poweramps are too costly for the moment.

It's the consumption? Oh, I see. So you can drive the preamp into any poweramp and it will be able to take it? Does the volume, power or output of the preamp not affect anything at all?

Comment

Get a used mesa 50/50 it will be louder and cheaper that a 20/20 and it has a low power switch (15 watts a side).

Comment

Originally posted by VanOsbourne
          Get a used mesa 50/50 it will be louder and cheaper that a 20/20 and it has a low power switch (15 watts a side).
          The 50/50 that I owned didn't have that switch...

Pete

Comment

You must have had a newer one Pete.

The older black faced models have a HI/LO power switch.

I have the older model. I would'nt mind a newer model because you can use EL34 or 6L6's.

Here's the product info page from mesa

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In...50_stereo.html

the HI/LO switch is the third rocker.

Comment

That sounds interesting and quite up my alley. Still pretty much sufficient gigging power at full power but capable for home use when switched too!

Comment

Anyways.

I've been able to hear a Quad playing the kind of music/tones I'd like to get out of it and let me tell you (clips on HC!). It was probably the best sound I've ever heard an amp make.

Doubts are gone. Quad it is!

Comment

Peavey classic 60/60. 6L6gc output, reasonably priced.. the only drawbacks is the 3 space use and all the controls are on the back but its solid unit and sounds decent. The Tube Works amp RT 4250 is all tube. The Carvin T 100 is switchable wattage, 2 space reasonably priced used.

Even tho they have plenty on tap.. they're all able to go to bedroom vol levels.

Comment

Awesome. I knew about the peavey, but those others are new ones, will definitly check them out!

Comment

Working...
                    X