I got a peavey vtm60 head today and it has 4 speaker outs on the back:

- 16 Ohms
    - 8 Ohms
    - 4 Ohms
    - Not used unless you hook 4 cabs up

My crate cab has a switch on the back with 2 positions:
    - 16 Ohms
    - 8 Ohms stereo/4 Ohms mono

I had it hooked up today at 16 ohms, and with the head cranked, it wasn't loud at all. So my question is, with the switching on the cab, should i put it to 4 ohms mono and use the 4 ohms jack on the head?

Thanks guys

yeah put it on 4 ohms and give it a shot

Comment

When given a choice of outputs in/out of amps/cabs, it seems to my ears that 4 ohms sounds better.

My VHT2150 has 4/8/16 and my cabs that switch, seem to sound better when ran at 4. Don't know why tho.

They really dont change volume tho. Unless youre mismatching the impedances. Make sure your cab really is what you think it is.

Comment

I'll try it tommorow on 4 ohms then. If the volume doesnt change, i guess one of the power tubes is fucked. The amp is from the late 80's and has hardly been used, still the original tubes.

Thanks for the help, i'll let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

I don't have my VTM-60 in front of me, but my experience is that the EQ section is much more responsive the higher you crank the preamp gain, and the full potential of the VTM amps depends on how you adjust the mini-switches.

With mine dialed in clean to run a distortion pedal through it, I had to back way off the treble and crank both the mids and lows, using the boost switches as well. Ditching the pedal in favor of the VTM's distortion, I was able to run the EQ far more balanced. Turning on the compression switch gave me more volume, and of course there is the option of boosting the gain with switches also.

I'm running through a Jackson 4x12 at 4 ohms mono.
          sigpic

Comment

Running at 4 ohms didnt really change anything. And also, the amp stopped turning on. So it's been taken to a shop for repairs. When i say it didnt have much volume, i mean the volume was like a small practise amp, not a half stack. Hopefully when it comes back ill have an arse kicking tone machine

Comment

Working...
            X